Monday, February 27, 2006

Mighty Tom on Volume 6

Volume 6

Ten songs that you are digging lately is a theme, in this club. Love the record-like CD. I have thought about buying them before, but never have I seen one live. To hold and to cherish. Thank you.



1. Soul Meets Body

Finally I have HEARD Death Cab for Cutie, not just heard ABOUT them. Initially I thought it was all about the name – some new version of Slipknot or Staind – obviously I wasn’t listening very closely. Thankfully they are nothing like those other ‘S’ bands. I like the song and like what they are doing vocally. Overall the song reminds me of an 80’s video. If this makes any sense- sure there may be some musical relatives to 80’s music, but the song as a whole reminds me of an 80’s video of a song and a band that you may not have heard – but it sounds nice and the video is from when the world was new – or at least when MTV was new. Maybe the band was chasing a huge glowing globe around – surely there would be plenty of standing around as the seasons change, or at the very least, a run through an English wood. The lyrics would/could lend themselves to an interesting video. Great harmonies. Great melodies. Great mental images.




2. So Beautiful

I do hope the Monkees come up again during the course of this club, and in fact, I am sure they will, but I do not want to get off on that tangent at this time. I, too, like the words to the chorus.

I know someone who REALLY likes David Poe. He has seen Poe live and has played his music for everyone at work. I can’t say I know who Poe is or even if I could distinguish a David Poe song. (if that is his real name). I certainly cannot remember hearing this song. I have heard vivid physical descriptions of this man that were both odd and wondrous. I did not ask for these descriptions and yet they were muttered into my ear. I like the song and really like the words. I think it is definitely a bit of a dig – to reference Miles. I think he wants her to feel just a little of the pain he has been feeling – ultimately knowing that she’ll have nothing to worry about anyway– ‘cause you know – the beautiful ones will always have love.



3. I Burn Today

At first I thought this was a lament from TV’s Frank Black, the lead character from ‘Millennium’. That would have been a real downer. I think Aaron could corroborate that claim. I did not know that this was the lead singer of the Pixies, a band I’ve only been exposed to from a distance. Friends like Mixdorf. Girls like Mooseburger. They may have had the Pixies going on. Really Mixdorf – where were we? What girl was playing the Pixies? By a stone wall. In Iowa or Minnesota. Help me place this memory Mixdorf, please! This song is very new to me. I wasn’t crazy about it initially, but it has been growing on me, in surprising ways, during subsequent listens. He does have an interesting voice and the words are excellent. This lady and her Tarot cards. His fate is to ‘burn’ in hell. A timeless character whose hell is living each and every day. Water (the river) providing a little reprieve or advice he does not heed? I think the latter – only by drowning himself can he be ‘saved’ from the burning.




4. D’Artagnan’s Theme

I love this song! An early candidate for BS of the collection. It has an intensity that surpasses that of the other Cope song I am familiar with, ‘Son’s Gonna Rise,’ also from the ‘Clarence Greenwood Recordings’ (no relation to Ben). I love the words and the climatic feel of “why don’t you just fade away.” “I’ve been beaten by sight of day” is how I hear another line and I love it! What a build-up to the 1:50 first telling of the chorus. I really like the cry in his voice (oddly Diamond-like). The War drags ever on.




5. Glory Box

She, the lead singer, and Billy from ZZ Topp are always invited to our family reunions, but they NEVER show up. Bastards! I’ve heard maybe two or three songs by Portishead. I’ve liked them all. They definitely have a style. Is it considered Trip-Hop? Some jazzy elements among the cut and pasting. To me, it’s a wild song about a female-or completely female cupid who wants to give it up and just be. I like the title. Great title.




6. Alison

Man! During the late spring of 2005 thru the beginning of summer I was listening to a ton of Elvis Costello. What a kick! I agree with Miles about all of us being at ‘that’ point sometime in our lives. “My Aim is true,” once she understands that, I am sure to be her guy – wrong! A less hyper Costello song from his early days. Easy going, great words, and some excellent Costello musical moments. Great song! Again great – excellent words! Costello makes a warmly welcomed contribution to our CD club.

Alison is fine and will be fine without you. She cares nothing for your ‘aim’ – Elvis – sorry. Cruel, but true. “Put out the big light” – what a great way of discussing his jealousy!




7. Boots of Spanish Leather

A great song. Another BS candidate, easily. I do not have the right to say much about Dylan. What can I say?

Confession of a Music Fan

Elohim, I have sinned. For I have always loved Bob Dylan, but I have always ignored Bob Dylan. Please forgive me and supply me the strength to do better.




8. Time Has Told Me

The only song from this collection that I had on CD, thanks to another Eastern friend.

In Minneapolis I had the opportunity to listen to a couple of his albums, including ‘An Intro to Nick Drake.’ How can we credit a car commercial for giving all of us Nick Drake? Answer: We can. There is a great quality about him – though it is possible that this song and the great Pink Moon may indeed be his VERY best. I really like the pace of this song. Great words and melody! The electric guitar may be a bit unwieldy at times, (funny that its Richard Thompson) but the rest of the instruments are richly arranged.

I love the picture of him on the cover to “An Intro to Nick Drake.”
He is the Dark Donovan of the Wood.




9. The Luckiest

I would agree. I, too, cannot believe we do not hear more about Ben Folds! Great songwriter with a sweet voice. And after his recent work with Bill Shatner one would think Ben Folds would be all over the papers and VH1 news – but alas! A great sweetness beneath the filth of so much pop.

This song has a strong Kermit vibe for me, and that is a good thing. It reminds me of a song Kermit might sing during a new Muppet Movie intent on capturing the magic of the first, original Muppet Movie. Remember that song Kermit sang during the opening? Wasn’t it great!?



10. The Nurse

I raved about the White Stripes on comments for Volume 1. I will rave again, briefly here. Since the dawn of the new Millennium (and no not a new episode of your favorite TV show with Frank Black – think calendar) the White Stripes are the best thing going in Rock’n’Roll. By far! They are incredible! Also – I’d like to thank the Johnsons for turning me on to the Stripes way back when. Thanks!

The Nurse – another great White Stripes song from an album I really should get. The third and final candidate for BS of this collection.

Closing Comment

I enjoyed this excellent combination/mix of music. I think a strong theme is present in this collection. I like many of these very new to me songs quite a bit and am pleased to have iPod’d them.


My BS of the collection

Though ‘The Nurse’ and ‘D’Artagnan’s Theme’ were in the running, they simply could not keep up with the ‘Boots of Spanish Leather.’


SIWHI

‘Redondo Beach’ by Patti Smith.

11 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Was Miles listening to Redondo Beach by Patti Smith recently?

Or was MT?

Tough to add SIWHI to a collection of songs that have been on heavy rotation on someone else's music device of choice.

perhaps an explanation of why that particular song would be helpful.

8:24 AM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

Mixdorf has a good point.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Mighty Tom said...

Though it is in heavy rotation - I am sure he was a bit selective nonetheless. I thought another female, a little on the punky side after the sixties but well before some of the more recent songs on his mix would be nice for the overall balance. I was considering Roxy Music - but I thought another female would work better. He also lives near a beach. If he doesn't like Patti Smith (I'm not a huge fan myself though do like some of her stuff) or this song - than I have failed in my selection for a SIWHI. This was the most difficult SIWHI to pick for the reasons cited by Mixdorf.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

You have failed me for the last time.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Mighty Tom said...

stammering stammering "But sir..." stammering stammering

4:17 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Reviews are moving east to west.

Which is farther west, MSP or CF?

Intuitively I say MSP.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

CF is farther west...

of the Mississippi.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

But the Mississippi doesn't run arrow straight towards the north pole, so I'm not sure how that helps.

Minneapolis 93degrees 14minutes west
Waterloo 92 minutes 24minutes

Minneapolis farther west by less than a degree.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

It's a scientific fact. "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line." You arguing with science?

7:19 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

How very Euclidian of you.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Hey, no need for insults!

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home