Thursday, February 09, 2006

A few Wrap-up Comments From Poignant Santa

Interesting the Halloween connections to Some Are. I would agree that it is scary - another of these bonus tracks from Low actually wound up on a Halloween compilation.

Caroline Says 2 was actually the first one 'in' on the Poignant Santa - in answer to Dan's question.

And for Cory...you are not the only one to have wondered about Reed's singing style.

I totally agree about the cheesy saxamaphone in Thorn In My Side - in the end - I liked the feeling of the song too much to leave it off.

I am really glad that Dan likes 'We Live Again' - I knew Aaron would.

Go Miles - buy like the wind - I'd be interested to hear what you think about those albums if you do buy them.

Aaron: that part in A Most Peculiar Man that left you cold....just think how cold it made the Peculiar man Feel. We have daughters and wife. Warm. The Peculiar Man was alone, in a room, and very cold.

Interesting, Miles threatens violence on what he feels is an incomplete song, but Aaron feels it is NOT an incomplete song. The End of The Spoon - is it complete or incomplete? Mystery One. Mystery Two would be the exact lyric to 'Some Are.'

Gwen is very very very very hot! Though I agree with Mixdorf - she has taken a nose-dive musically from No Doubt to her fashion-oriented high school fightin' solo career.

Thanks all for listening and for the comments!

8 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

A Most Peculiar Man, it is one of those things that In feel I should be able to get over, but can't. A similar situation with "Silent All These Years" and the way "What's so amazing about really deep thoughts" doesn't quite fit rhythmically.

BTW, SIWHI: "Isn't it a Pity"

10:41 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

What sayeth Aaron about Peach on a Leaf. That song's the rhythmic equivalent of insanity.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

On both points:
- Interesting, I am a strict bastard when it comes to being critical of pacing, when it doesn't seem to fit a meter, but that moment in "Silent All These Years" (Tori Amos) never bothered me.
- While have a history of challenging Gibbs on pacing, which is how you use words to fill up bars in your song, it is a different thing than time signature, which is strictly the framework of the bars themselves. "Peach on a Leaf" is a time signature thing which varies frequently, often inexplicably, from 5/4 to 4/4. "Frog" was similar in that respect. Confusing to learn as a musician, but once you do it seems to make sense. Pacing issues, when they bother me, often never quite resolve themselves in my head.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

So Tori Amos and Paul SImon didn't change time signatures inexplicably, in the middle of that bar?

2:50 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

By memory, I recall Tori Amos' instrumentation & beat staying in 4/4 throughout that section-she just jams a bunch of words over the top.

Listening to the Paul Simon section now...nope. Also standard rock n' roll 4/4. Try this: Drum or hum/sing beats of four with an accent on the 2 and 4: da-DA-da-DA during either of the two songs. Getting going so you're in the rhythm as the sections approach and hang in there while the words seem to slide around a bit. At the end of the passages in question, you'll find that you're still riding along on the crest of the beat.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

I understand how it works.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

"Peach on a Leaf" is the da bomb. The story of "Peach on a Leaf" shall never be repeated (I hope).

Dan, great explanation on "Silent All These Years." One note, I otherwise love that song.

On "A Most Peculiar Man," it is not a rhythm thing that bugs me, but it is similar in the way I feel I should be able to get past it, but can't.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Sorry, Mixxy. Didn't mean to insult. I wasn't clear whether in your next to last comment you were implying you didn't understand the exact meaning behind time signatures...

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home