Tuesday, January 10, 2006

T-clog's Comments on The Poignant Santa

The Poignant Santa: Volume 4 (Gibbons, December 05')

Some Are – David Bowie: I really like the clock sounds from the piano in the opening seconds. This song makes me think of the winter cursed land of Narnia. I imagine this song playing through the chilly halls of the White Witch’s darkened and frozen palace. I can almost see Mr. Tumnus running through the forest with the breath of the trees whispering this song to him. This is a very poignant song. It really paints a dark and scary picture in my head. I am almost scared. I think that it is good to be scared sometimes. Boo!

That’s The Way – Led Zepplin: Sad story of not being allowed to play with a friend anymore. Not a bad song at all. I enjoy the stretched out section of each Castanza. The line that gets me the most is about the fish laying there dying. The lyrics are poignant, thus a good choice to have on this album. Zepplin is not bad music, but not the kind that gets me jazzed to buy their albums. This is exactly what I was hoping for in this club. I always wanted to hear more Zepplin so that I could make a decision as to weather I should purchase any. I believe that one of my comments on Mixdorf’s album said that I wanted to hear more. Well I am, and thus far not sold on buying their albums. Could this change? Yes.

A Most Peculiar Man – Simon & Garfunkel: I can’t believe that I have never heard this song before. Where have I been? I think that it is an awesome song! I think of Mrs. Robinson right away. I have to admit that I just watched it the other day on TBS. I would have to say that Ben (Dustin Hoffman) was a very peculiar man. What a bizarre and twisted life he had going on in that movie. The song is very sad. I think of all the lonely people out in the world who need someone. If I never got married, I see myself drifting towards a peculiar man’s life. However, I hope that I would not commit suicide. This is a wonderful example of how great this club is in discovering great tunes. This is tied for my favorite song on this album.

Caroline Says II – The Velvet Underground:
Is he talking or singing? Lou Reed is fine to hear every now and again. I have one album and I rarely listen to it. Why do they call her Alaska? I am curious to hear Caroline Says I. Are they related and by the same artist? I am guess that they are, but I am not 100% sure.

Photograph – Ringo Starr: The Feelings that get stirred up with this song are all warm and fuzzy. This is just a fun song. I think that this is one of his best efforts from his solo career. This song is also tied for my favorite on the album. When I hear this tune I remember two things. The first being my high school photography class and Pat’s trip to the Iowa State Fair to give Ringo a copy of a Time Did Yank Us demo. From high school this is the only positive experience that I had during my four years.

Thorn In My Side - Eurythmics: I agree with the rest of you on the Annie Lenox voice. I think that she has a great sound. The kind of voice that makes you want to hear more. I totally do! Gibbons do you have an album that you would recommend to a Eurythmics new bee? Just a very good song! Excellent pick MF’er!

Thinking About You – Radiohead: This song is an excellent driving tune. To me it actually works in keeping me thinking and staying alert. I think about all the good people in my life. I think of my wife and children, I think of God, and I think of my great friends. This type of tune is what I look for when driving to and from work. I may include it on a driving disc in the future for myself. Thanks Mighty Tom.


The End of the Spoon – Dave Matthews Band: I am a fan of DMB and I enjoy their music a lot. I own two albums and I think that they are very good. I have not heard a lot of DMB other than what is on my albums, but I am very interested in hear more of their work. Especially the older stuff. A man really can’t go wrong in putting a DMB song on his album. This song is a short and sweet flick that drives into your head and whispers encouragement that resonates through your entire body. I love the creaming instruments at the very end. Very bewitching to me.

We Live Again - Beck: This song reminds me of Back to the Future when Michael J. Fox is playing the guitar on stage and he starts to fade away. This would be a good tune to play in the locker rooms of a beaten team. It may drive some of them insane. This is probably my least favorite song on the album, but NOT a waste of listening time.

Babe I’m Gonna Leave You – Led Zepplin: This Zepplin song actually gets my interest going again in the direction of Zepplin. I know that they have a lot of tunes and I really should try to explore more of them rather than make a decision based on a few songs from CMC. One band that I want to hear more from is Pink Floyd. Damn, there are some good tunes from that band.

Bonus CD: Aint No Hollar Back Girl – Gwen Stephanie: Freakin love the song! Thanks for including it on a bonus CD. On the radio, there were swear words. When I got your version, there was nothing but the word shit smeared all over the song. I thought that it was funny. Weird how nothing was said about it.

Review:
Frosty has nothing on The Poignant Santa! This is a very deep and emotional album that carries empathy, reflection, and purpose. Gibbons has compiled an album that speaks volumes on the human perspective. The vibes of this album also take to heart the talent and soul of the artists included. What a great album to any collector’s stash!

8 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

I tried to pretend the bonus CD never existed. That song is BAD. Really BAD.

The other stuff on the bonus cd was good, but sheesh.

8:53 AM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

WHAT? How could you not like that song? It is freak'in hillarious. The title is crazy, the video is crazy, and the whole thing is nuts. Very good song when your in that kind of mood. Don't be affraid of the Hollar Back.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Haven't seen the video, although if Gwen Stephani is scantily clad, it can's be all bad, and she rarely wears more than a hint of clothing.

But the song I find neither hilarious or crazy, just repetitive and annoying. Her solo career is proving to be very crappy, after some decent tunes from No Doubt.

She's hot without question, but her choice of musical directions leaves me wanting....a return to silent movies.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

I question her hotness. I don't now and have never found her attractive. Her career, to me, seems to exist soley on the basis of her appearances in awards shows and the opening three pages of Rolling Stone. I could only muster about a half a listen of that song.

On a side note, so much for "We Live Again" as the consensus runaway hit of Volume 4.

9:59 AM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

So be it my friends. I respect the fact that you do not like the song. Thank you Gibbs for throwing this old dog balls a bone.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

I think she's way over the top make-up wise, but everything from the neck down is smoking hot.

I think your We Live Again consensus was a consensus of one.

I really like the song, but have liked it for years. Miles was not exactly exuberant in his praise, though he liked it, and Cory thought it was his least favorite.

Doing the math on that might get you to 6 or 7 out of 10.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

I didn't say WHEN I concluded "so much" for it being the runaway consensus hit.

I question that hotness from the neck down. To me, she seems to have adolescent boy unshapliness and, almost inexplicably, an unattractive combination of skinniness and baby fat.

10:32 AM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

If we were all the same and we all liked exactly the same kind of music, then this club would not be very benificial. I praise our diversity.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home