Tuesday, January 03, 2006

T-clog's Comments on Minnesota Connections

Minnesota Connection: Volume 3 (Johnson, November 05')

Holiday - The Hopefuls:
This song has a great beat to tap your toe to. The lyrics are creative and helps to take you back to past holiday events. This song at the same time spins you forward making you hunger for future holidays. This song catches my ear, and I enjoy the song every time that I hear it. This song also flips me back into time because I can't help but to think of the many winter vacations that I spent with Pat and Dan in Minneapolis. Great times, and a great start to an excellent album.

The Buckeye Tree - Quillan Roe: I will say that this is one of my favorites on this album. Damn! I like these types of songs. Are they quirky? Yes they are, but they really tickle the forester in me. I hope that guys conyinue to find songs about trees. If I could find them, then that would be a theme of mine. Imagine ten songs all about trees. I think that would be funny. Maybe Gibbs and I would be the only ones to appreciate that? Going back to this song, the lyrics are hypnotizing and enchanting. Simple and yet captivating. The harmonies are a true bonus in a song like this. When I hear this song, I am in a state of transendentalisim. I drft off to a land full of trees and I imagine what it is like to be acer negundo. The water slowly seeping through my vessels and reaching my apical meristem. I can feel the gentle breeze blowing off of the river and fluttering through my leaves. You sir found a GREAT song!

Man The Swirl of Color - Mike Brady: Sounds a lot like Lou Reed at times. The beginning of this song is lacking a hook. If I were a bass and this song was lure jigging past me, I think that I would just let it keep on jigging. There is no shiny luster, no sparkle in the paint, and the rusty smell that it leaves convices me to look for crayfish. Sorry dude, but this song is a dud.

The One That Got Away - Accident Clearinghouse: Very coutry sounding. As a random country music listener, I can appreciate the sound. His voice is not twangy or drawn back. The sound in his voice projects and is calming at the same time. I smile with this song, and I think that the lyrics are speaking from experience. Once again you have captured my ears and my mind. Good pick!

The One You're Closest To - The Ashtray Hearts: A relaxing and thought provoking tune. There are some small guitar moves that draw your ear a little closer to the song. I really enjoy those little moves at about the 02:40 mark. You can't help but to think of those closest to you, which is probably the whole main idea od singing such a song. Nothing much more to add other than it is a decent tune.

City Girl - The Owls: I like the piano in this song a lot. It would be easy to use a drum to create the beat. I say if you can accomplish it with a piano and it works with the song, then why not? There are some very quiet harmonies that are just plain good. This song makes me think of 44 playing live in Minneapolis. Why? I have no idea. I really like this song, and like the simpleness of it. keep up the great job of finding, compiling, and mixing Aaron!

Mike's Country Song - Accident Clearinghouse: Once again the country sound breaks out and treats us with a jingle. There was some talk about the title of this song earlier, but what I have to say about it is simple. In my opinion, the artist can name his or her songs whatever he or she wants. The harmoniesseem to be mocking . To me it is an easy listening tune that sparks some memories from years past. It is a fun song, and I am glad that you included it into your album. I can dig your selections Aaron. The memories that are jogged by this tune comes from my freshman days at ISU. I remember listening to KJJY out of Ankeny. Man! I listened to a lot of country back in those days.

Neutral Angel Of Fargo - Spurcut Factory Rider: First of all, i want to say that this is my second favorite song on the album. I have a tie for first place. I love Minnesota, and if the song is about Minnesota so much the better. I know that I disagree with Dan on this point, but I AM a Minnesota boy in the land of Iowa. I hope that one day I will return and make my home once again in that great state. Here is a fun little piece of trivia for you guys. Dan actually brought a bucket of soil from Minnesota for me when I bought my house. I scattered the soil over my property and baptized my land as a little annex to Minnesota. Now back to the music. This song just stirs in me great thoughts of Minnesota and my many great adventures that took place there. A very good song. I often put those three songs onto a playlist at school so that I can hear them when I am not enjoying the entire album.

Little Sunrises - Florida: What else would Florida be singing about? :) Beaches, sunshine, women in bikinis, and hurricanes is the inspiration down there. I know they are a Minnesota band for those who are about to beat me with the stupid stick. This song is alright, but does not charge mt drums. There is something very familiar about the sound. Have I heard them on the radio before? Is there another band on the radio circuit currently that has a similar sound to Florida?

10,000 Lakes - Kid Dakota: I love this song! If you have done your math correctly then you would be drawn to the conclusion that this song would get outstanding comments from T-clog. It is tied for first place in my book. I really like the guitar solos and the lyrics totally kick ass. How can anyone not like a song the mentions paul Bunyan? "In Minnesota again for the winter", crystalizes chilly memories in my mind and builds a warm fire in my heart. Boot hockey, Tidal Wave Video, and Dan,s KSTP friends getting there asses kicked in football.

Bonus: Griddle-Cake Joey (AC): Funny and a great bonus track. Not much of a fan of pancake songs, but I appreciate the fun in adding a light hearted bonus. Flip me over, I am ready to listen to this album again!

Review: Hot Dog! What a great album! If a person wants a true taste of Minnesota take a listen to Minnesota Connections. Aaron has compiled songs that are fun, thougt provoking, and charming. When I finish listening to this album, I long for my next trip back to the Land of 10,000 Lakes. Even though I really enjoy and listen to each of the albums a lot, I have to say that I listen to Aaron's the most. Just a damn great album!

2 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

Wow, thanks for the comments, and glowing review T-Clog. If there is an artist or artists you want more of let me know, and I can let you know where to pick up their CDs, or find additional songs to download.

8:40 AM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

Quillan Roe has a voice that I think would capture my ears for an entire album. Where can I find more?

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home