Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Wrap It Up

General Thoughts:

As everyone noted there is a fairly consistent feel to the music, and as Pat put it "an odd incestuousness." Dan noted that showcasing different styles would have been welcome. Well, it is my collection bitches, so deal with it. Actually, the main reason for all of this is that these are the bands with whom I am most familiar, partly because of the incestuousness. I don't go out that often, so my introduction to these bands has come from their relationships with one another.


1. The Hopefuls: “Holiday,” The Fuses Refuse to Burn

Yes Mighty Tom they changed their name following a cease and disist from the USOC.

Interesting that Dan thinks Jackson's voice sounds small-time, while MT thinks it is a great voice for rock and pop. I for one love Jackson's voice. I like the hand claps, and the elements that are introduced at the points that MT mentions. I love the lyrics, and think it is just super tight all around.


2. Quillan Roe: “The Buckeye Tree,” ...These First Few Months

Seems to be liked all around. Pat makes an interesting point on the rhyming. When I hear the "ee" sounds I think "I should hate that," but I don't.

Again just a simple song with some great elements (female vocal, harmonica, etc.).


3. Mike Brady: “Man the Swirl of Color,” As Long as the Day is Long

You guys seem to have a love/hate/ambivalent thing for Mike Brady. The love: MT's favorite lyrics on the disk; one of Pat's favorites, though some of the rhythmic elements bother him; while these rhythmic elements appeal to Dan on this "neat art-pop" song. I think you are talking about the triplets on the drums.

4. Accident Clearinghouse: “The One That Got Away,” Written in Rope

Everyone seems to enjoy the lyrics, which are part of why I like this one so much. Nothing ground-breaking, but well done, and, as I said, it makes me want to learn to two step. Dan calls it a novelty. I'm not sure what exactly constitutes a novelty, but more on that later.


5. The Ashtray Hearts: “The One You’re Closest To,” Old Numbers

Mixed reaction here. It does plod, but in a way that I really dig. Dan is on to something about the style being good for an entire album, because that is the case here. I also love the harmonic changes, and Like MT love the guitar solo. I don't think anyone else's voice would work nearly as well for the Hearts.

6. The Owls: “City Girl,” Apartment Music Sampler

Not much to be said here, generally well liked. That is all.


7. Accident Clearinghouse: “Mike’s Country Song,” Volume 1: Saginaw Sweetheart

Now the Mike Brady hate. OK, nobody said they hated it, but it does seem to be the least favorite across the board. True, no new ground covered here, and it is fairly short. I wonder if I approach this song from a different angle than the other members. I think I reject the idea that this one is a novelty (i'll give you Joey, but i am still not sure what I would call a novelty, and if that even invalidates a song). Pat mentions that it seems to be an "ungerminated seed of an idea." I see it as compete idea, short and sweet. I don't think something short and simple is any less valid that something grand and/or innovative musically. I hope that this doesn't sound like I am being defensive, because I am not, simply stating where I am coming from on this song.


8. Spurcut Factory Rider: “Neutral Angel Of Fargo,” One Last Time For The Record

Doesn't do much for Pat. Dan likes it, to my surprise. Pat loves it, to his surprise, so much so that it earns BS.


9. Florida: “Little Sunrise,” Drum Solo on the Bumpers

This one brings the ambivalence for Mike Brady. No one gets too excited. MT likes part of the guitar, but thinks that it may be overdone. I see your point, but I dig it for some reason. In spite of liking it "OK," it represents an album Dan would like to explore further.


10. Kid Dakota: “Ten Thousand Lakes,” The West is the Future

Another one that I expected Dan to not like, but again I am wrong. Overall one of the favorites. I too love the piano, and other instrumentation. Not sure about the whole "taper" thing.


Bonus. Accident Clearinghouse: “Griddle-Cake Joey,” By Blood And Marriage

Not much to say here, except that I was unaware of the whole "shrimp" thing. Funny. I should mention that in addition to seeing Cory in this, I also envision a mustachioed Hylton as the judge at the County Fair Pancake Eating Contest, wearing his round glasses, a striped shirt with a vest, bow-tie, and one of those barber shop quartet hats.

SIWHI/BS:

44 was excluded, because we are all familiar with the works of that legendary quartet, and I wanted to expose myself you to something that was new to you (I had forgotten that I had exposed Mighty Tom to the works of Mr. Jackson. I hope that if you continue to enjoy the disks, you will pony up and purchase legal copies). Same goes for the big names Like the Jayhawks and Mr. Zimmerman. BTW Dan, Ryan Adams is not from Minnesota, and neither is Neil Schon.

In retrospect, I think I would have chosen "Drain the Sea" by The Hopefuls, it was a tough choice between the two. I also considered "Motobike" to add a different voice. I also considered a different Florida song to cut down on the Mike Brady, but don't think I would change that. Maybe a different set of AC songs. For Kid Dakota I think I made the right choice, but would like the others to hear some of So Pretty, like "Crossin' Fingers," or "Pairin' Off."

Best Song, for me, I think has to be "Ten Thousand Lakes."

9 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Neil Schon married a girl from Plymouth.

On further though, I don't think I spoke very well on the topic of "novelties." I don't think they invalidate a song or an artist at all. Take (again) Honey Pie by Paul McCartney. Or Her Majesty. I would consider them both to be novelties; as well as damned wonderful songs in their respective genres. But I would not use either as an example of Paul's work, were I to trying to pick one song that was representative of his "style" or body of work. For him, it really couldn't be done, but you might at least try with Maybe I'm Amazed or Hey, Jude. Know what I'm saying? I simply had the idea that it might not be the best representation of what they're all about. I thought it was a fine song.

Why did you expect me not to like NAFargo & 10Klakes?

12:02 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Novelty may not be exactly the right word, but I'll stand by my contention that Mike's Country Song is an ungerminated seed of an idea.

A single verse and a chorus tacked onto what seems to have been originally an intrumental is definitely not a fully formed song, in my mind anyway.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Dan, not sure why with Neutral Angel, but with 10,000 it was for the same reasons you listed yourself that you usually don't go for that type of song.

Pat, on that we will disagree.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Like gentlemen.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Pistols at dawn?

8:59 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

To quote Mark Twain...

Brickbats at 100 yards.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

"...with 10,000 it was for the same reasons you listed yourself that you usually don't go for that type of song."

Ah, but were you thinking of this PRIOR to my comments?

12:59 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Actually it was. I didn't think that you would like the local references.

8:02 PM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

Aaron, You just wait for my comments. I might go out on a limb as to say that this album is an early favorite for me. I LOVE 10,000 Lakes!!!!!!!!!

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home