Friday, December 09, 2005

The Beginning: A Review by T-clog

The Beginning: Volume 1 (Mixdorf, September 05')

Go - Pearl Jam: I enjoy the electric guitar on this song. I am not a big fan of heavier metal, but this collection is one that I am actually enjoying. Thanks Mixdorf for opening a new door for me musically. Going back to the guitar, I am finding out that I enjoy heavy metal / grunge songs with a winning or screaming guitar more than songs that don't. About the 01:44 mark in the song you hear a good example of what I mean. "Don't you want me?" echoes the feeling that he really doesn't want her back. You GO Mixdorf!

Army of Me - Bjork: I have always been curious about Bjork, and I want to hear her sing. Ever since I have seen her on MTV or VH1, she has captured my attention. Her haunting voice is appealing to me, but her videos are captivating. Maybe I like it because the videos are so weird? The drums do make this song in my opinion. I love the Super Mario power-ups.

American Idiot - Green Day: Is this your theme song? It definitely has a political backbone. There is a lot of truth in what he sings. Playing this on the road late at night will keep a dead man awake for hours. I like the lyrics and really groove on the intense beat. I listen to this album more when I am working, than at any other time. It just keeps me moving and makes the work go faster. I don't mean at school, but working around the house on home improvements. You made a very up-beat album. Thanks for making work at home a little easier.

Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes: The base line is hypnotizing. I actually found myself humming the beat one afternoon at school while I was blogging. Good lyrics. Once again, around the 02:12 mark I heard some spooky guitar. "I'm going to Wichita!" reminds me of the time that I was in Kansas City. I sat there in a Greyhound bus station for about two hours looking at trains and a sign that said Wichita.

London Calling - The Clash: The beginning of this song makes me think that an episode of Welcome Back Kotter is going to be on. This is probably my least favorite song on this album. Sorry dude, the only thing that I like in this song is the crow caws. I look forward to Zoo Station every time.

Zoo Station - U2: What can a person say? This song is just great. I like how Bono's voice is distorted in this song. It just seems to fit well with the design of the song. Going with U2 on an album can only make your album that much greater. I really like Bono's wooooos and hoooooos in the songs that he sings. To me it is his signature element. U2 is the creator of my all-time favorite song. That will be revealed at another time.

Black Dog - Led Zepplin: I have always wanted to take the time to explore Led Zepplin, but I never knew anyone who had any of their albums. When I would go to UNI to see my friend Jim, we heard this song all of the time. I was in high school and working at Little Ceasar's Pizza. After work on Fridays, I would go to UNI and party with Jim and some of his friends. Nothing like trying to be nice to the ladies and smelling like Pizza grease. I would have to say that this song is my favorite on this album. Tom Sawyer is a very close second. I enjoy the guitar and lone vocals.

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana: I remember all of the controversy over the cover of this album. It seems like it was the most popular album ever because everyone seemed to have this album but me. I remember hearing it on any given night in the dorms. I think that the lyrics are great. I enjoy thinking about the lyrics. It definitely keeps me moving and I catch myself bobbing my head. Why do I do this? I have no idea. Do I have a hidden head banger inside of me?

Tom Sawyer - Rush: This is very close to being my favorite song on this album. I say scratch that! It is tied for first place. It is just a great hard rock song. I love the synthesizer and the lyrics a lot. Can you imagine Tow Sawyer jamming out while drifting down the Mississippi river? No? Neither can I. Great pick Mixdorf! I need to find some more Rush and to see if I like more of their stuff.

Stop - Jane's Addiction: Absolutely love the Spanish at the beginning of the song. It lures you in and grabs onto you. Another very good song. I can't believe that I don't own any music by these musicians. Excluding U2 naturally.

Review of Beginning: I think that this album is a great collection of songs that gets your toe tapping and it energizes your mind with creative lyrics and soul grooving music. Beginnings taps on your shoulder, pulls you inside, tickles your body, and spits you out shaken and feeling alive. A must have for anyone wanting to jam out!

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Thanks man!

2:13 PM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

No, thank you!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

I know the full review is much appreciated by Mixxy. Well done, Cory! Man, you really DO like this whole thing (other than the Clash-and who can blame you for that?)

I picture some epic battles between synthesizer advocate, Cory, and anti-synthezite, Gibbons, in future volumes.

9:44 AM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

"Oh, there will be, there will be!"

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home