Monday, December 12, 2005

Dan PR: A Review by T-clog

Dan PR: Volume 2 (Hylton, October 05')

Box Elder-LJ Booth: A great folk song! Maybe it is the forester in me that takes this song to heart? However, it buries it's roots deep into my ears and sings it's sweet lumbering tune through my mind whenever I see a box elder tree. I am impressed with Booth in choosing something as simple as a unfavorable tree to be the focus in his song. He turns this living thing into a celebrated treasure that has been overlooked by the pirates of time. His art in doing this is second to Jesus turning water into wine. How can this not be a theme song for all of us over shadowed in society, and its demands that we all conform to it's mainstream? We are box elder trees, unless we are the most popular, richest, or powerful. Thank you Dan for adding this great song to your picks! As a huge J. Denver fan, folk music holds a special place on my list of treasures. There are some faint harmonies that gives this song just a little Pat of Butter for all to savor.

Kathy's Song-Paul Simon: A very good Paul Simon tune. His charming voice combined with incredible lyrics is the recipe for damn good music. The melody in this song is what actually yanks my mind and demands that I dance with it. Like Mixdorf adding a U2 song to his collection, you have also ensured that your album is great by including a Paul Simon song to yours. a very good pick Dan.

Almost-Pale Boy: This song doesn't do much for me except that it gets me to look at the play list to see what's next. When I hear it, I get a gray picture in my head. It is of a dehydrated woman sitting and looking out of a drafty upstairs window on a cool and rainy day. The lyrics are okay, but they haunt my focus. I can ALMOST smell the dirty smoke that ALMOST pours out of her mouth as she sings. Sorry Dan, but it might be my least favorite tune on the album.

Never Going Back Again-Lindsey Buckingham: I love this little song. The instruments carry this song. The high pitched strings on the guitar are a cool and steely sound that blows a fresh breeze across my brow. I love the phrase "been down one time, been down two times.." It stands out and is just good stuff.

Such Great Heights-Iron & Wine: Is this guy Mark Anderson? What a wonderful song. It has a very calming melody. It lulls me into a relaxed state of mind. Sensational harmonies and pretty good guitar playing. He is very experienced with the guitar, becasue I don't hear the sliding of his fingers. This song is right up there with Boxelder.

Both Sides Now-Judy Collins: This song seems to me to be made for little girls. With the talk of ice castles and feather canyons, I am thrown off and look towards the nrxt song. To the songs credit however, there are some interesting instruments played on this track. Sorry, Dan, but this ties for my least favorite song on your album. When I see Judy Collins, I look away quickly.

Cherry Tree Carol-Marty Haugen & Dona Pena: I love the harmonies in this song. They are calm and contrasting. The deep tones of the man and the higher sweet sounds of the woman make for a great sound. I like the lyrics a lot. Maybe because I like a good Christmas song. The song is relaxing and transcends my mind to the middle east when Christ was born. I am not offset by the religious aspect of this song. I applaud your bravery in putting it on the CD. I suspect that you had an idea that it might not get high reviews from some of the members. I have never heard it before, and I will be hearing it often come this holiday season. Good pick Danny boy!

The 4a-The Incredible Moses Leroy: Awesome tune! I love the acoustic guitar and his soprano / tenor voice. He can really hit the notes. The flow of the song is just right. I listen to this song often while at work. It seems to give me a little charge to finish the day at school. A really good pick Dan.

Guinevere-Lucy Kaplanski: This song takes me in her arms and rocks me from side to side. It is a very comfortable song to listen to. She has a very lovely voice. Some of the world's best songs, in my opinion, are sung with the voice and a solo guitar. The name Guinevere is rare and also is a quality song like this one. Outstanding find Dan. I hope that we hear more of her in future collections.

One Misty Moisty Morning-Steeleye Span: I like the harmonies the best in this song. Wow! I hear some cool instrumental solos around the 02:11 mark. It almost sounded like a synthesizer or a serious electric guitar. Whatever it was, it was cool. Refreshing to hear such a mixture of factors on that track. You sir have a great hear for music.

Album Review: This album carries a soul that is true to it's own design, and gives the listener a musical train ride which provides enjoyment to those who travel upon her tracks. Dan gives Public Radio a wonderful stage in which to triumph and to reach new listeners. I recommend this album to anyone who wishes to hear great and intelligent music.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Thank you much for the kind words. A couple of notes to your comments:
- Thanks for being my sole advocate on Cherry Tree Carol. Not sure if I expected the extent of negativity I received as a result of including this song, but I certainly felt as though it was a bit of a bold selection-throwing an unexpected thematic wrinkle into the set.
- As far as Almost, I was aboslutely BLINDSIDED by the negativity. But I've moved on to acceptance.
- On the no finger-slide-squeak. Maybe other guitarists among the Coalescence can pipe in on this, but I think there is aboslutely no relationship between the amount of squeak and the talent of the player. It may have more to do with the sweatiness of the fingers, the style of playing, and the nature of the strings. Albeit the fact that I'm a modestly talented guitar player at best, I do have some experience with the axe and when I play certain songs, the there is tremendous squeak. I actually kind of like hearing the sound on recordings, as long as it's not overpowering. A very raw & real sound that makes you realize your hearing something that's not processed into oblivian.

12:25 PM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

I always assumed that the squeek was because of talent. Thanks for sharing some insight.com bowl into playing the guitar. Do you like the format in which I am sending out the reviews?

12:35 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Everything except:[if !supportEmptyParas]

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home