Thursday, January 26, 2006

Mix - Sea Songs and Me

Volume 5 courtesy of T-Clog

General comments

In thirteen years we may be able to look back on the A-Z song collections with wistful longing for simpler days (good luck with Q beeyotch) but for now we con only imagine what might comenext.

There are many qualities that our friend T-Clog possesses, and one of them is a straight-forward sensibility. There's no BS here. These are songs that he likes that start with C. The rest of us may torture ourselves trying to be intentionally obscure, 'clever', or whatever, but in the end, what this endeavor is about is songs we like, and if they all happen to start with the same letter, so be it.

The other thing that probably most impacts our choices is the experiences we had when we first became conscious of the songs. Mighty Tom has his 'sprinkles', I've had amazing experiences running to Rattle and Hum, and clearly T-Clog has picked songs that have imprinted themselves on him. He remembers when he first heard them and I think those original listening experiences were very positive and so forever influenced his opinions of these songs. We've all experienced this phenomenon, even with songs that in retrospect are maybe not as great as we recall. With that statement, I've probably instilled a sense of dread with our friend, but never fear.

'cause Cheap is How I Feel - Cowboy Junkies
I like the Cowboy Junkies. They have a really great version of Sweet Jane, and I own their album Black-Eyed Man, which is excellent. Margo Timmins has a great voice, very unique, and their songwriting is universally excellent. They have a country sound that would have been at home on Minnesota Connections, though they're from Canada, so that won't work. Although if there's anywhere in the US most like Canada, MN may be it. I didn't know this song, but it's a good representation of them at their most country. While Dan can debate that country has a certain musical structure that separates it from the blues, for me, both those styles are about the lyrics, and in that they overlap. Songs about simple people with problems, down and out, but never really giving up. This is a classic country song. It wouldn't make me buy this album, but it cements the CJ's as a very solid and reliable band.

So was T-Clog sneaking off to UNI in high school to drink? BLASPHEMY!

Carnival - Natalie Merchant
My sister introduced me to 10,000 Maniacs when they released In My Tribe, which it turns out was their 4th album. Oddly enough, they didn't really seem to last much longer than that album. Apparently success hit them rather hard, and soon the prominent lead singer was off on her own. Like Margo Timmins, Natalie has a unique voice. This song also shows off her song-writing skills, which when coupled with her voice is a powerful elixir. My infatuation with the Maniacs and Natalie was short lived but intense. I have not followed her career to any great extent since the release of Tigerlily, from which this song is mined, but I retain a strong appreciation for her talents.

I'm thinking that there was a large contigent of Forestry majors that would have beaten their classmates up for listening to NM all the time.

Cherry Cherry - Neil Diamond
This is from Neil's debut, 1967's Just For You. Not a bad start. If T-Clog's introduction was in Mighty Tom's car, I assume it was not the Fairlane, with it's emphasis on the saxophone, and complete lack of tape player. As far as T-Clog having orgasmic experiences in the presence of Mighty Tom, not only is that road well travelled, but also the less said the better.

Everything about this song says 60's. The arrangement, the lyrics, you name it. It certainly makes you wonder whether 'cherry' was playing a double role here, and whether it was trying to slide under the radar. Gonna make our own lightning indeed.

I like the simple guitar and the handclaps as percussion. The organ, or whatever that is back there, is a little extraneous, but all in all, it's a groovy tune. I had some good experiences in college listening to ND. We used to sing along to his greatest hits in studio late at night when things were needing some levity. He has a special place in my heart.

Wow. I just checked out what else was on that debut album. Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon (Urge Overkill - featured prominently in Pulp Fiction), Red, Red Wine (UB40, of course), I'm a Believer (The Monkees), Shilo, and Solitary Man. That's a fucking blockbuster debut if you ask me. That might be worth checking out.

Cover Me - Bruce Springsteen
I like Bruce, but I've come to like his recent stuff - stripped down and acoustic, more then his middle era stuff. He is a great songwriter, particularly when conveying the trials and tribulations of the everyman. This song would not rank highly on my list of Springsteen songs. It's generally not showing off his best attributes, it's just a bit too poppy for me. He's at his best when he manages to work words and ideas into songs that don't seem very song worthy.

I never got caught up in the Born in the USA phenomenon. In 1984 I was far more likely to be into The Police or Men at Work, stuff that was a little less blue collar.

Crash - Dave Matthews Band
I definitely got caught up in the DMB phenomenon starting with UTTAD. I might have even been slightly ahead of the curve. Nothing could have kept me from buying Crash, this being the title track. I extolled on the virtues of Dave as a guitarist on Volume 4's comments, so I won't revisit that. This album is chock full of great songs, at least half of which are specifically about seizing the day, a great sentiment.

This is another of those subversive songs, perhaps like Cherry Cherry, that got voluminous radio play without anyone really bothering to understand what exactly he was saying. This is not a song about seizing the day, exactly. This is a song about fucking. Unabashed, if thinly veiled. It seems like the song of a man rememebering what it was like to be a boy.

This song shows off the bands tightness with very crisp playing and a very full sound without being overdone, which can be the curse of DMB and other like-minded bands. Dave Matthews is an artist it might be interesting to hang out with. He's got an interesting history, having been born in South Africa, and eventually spending his later childhood in North Carolina. If you've ever wondered exactly what that accent is, that combination may explain it.

(note - I had finished the first half of the comments last night, and today Dan posted his, which I read, so the following comments may in some way comment on Dan's comments)

Come Together - The Beatles
There is no question that The Beatles were masterful musicians and songwriters. There are those that listen to music and here the mechanics of it, while for me, the act of listening is equal parts overall feel and lyrics. I can certainly acknowledge the skillful playing and arrangement, but that would also be true of classical or jazz or many other types of music, but if your're going to write a song with lyrics, and the lyrics are incomprehensible, that song is going to suffer in my mind. This song is among my least favorite Beatles songs of all time. Maybe even the least favorite. I may actually prefer Revolution 9 to this song, because it was truly off the wall in every respect, while this is a song that has all the standard song parts, but with lyrics that seem like they may have been filler waiting for replacements.

I know nothing of John Lennon's literary writing career, so I can't comment on his grasp and manipulation of the English language. There may be far more to this song than I am capable of taking in, like Ulysses by James Joyce, or it may in fact just be a well orchestrated joke of sorts. If it's the former, I guess I will forever remain outside looking in, and if the latter, what a waste.

City - Natalie Imbruglia
The only other song I know by the former Australia soap star (why I know that is a mystery in itself) is Torn, which I now can only associate with this video. Torn was a catchy little number, one of a multitude of similar pop hits. Is the world better for their existence. Probably. I cannot say the same for this song. Nothing about it intrigues me.

Cecilia - Simon & Garfunkel
Ahh, a breath of fresh air. Another subversive song, and two collections in a row with S&G. All that has been said about them, could be said again. Great musicianship and song-writing. Here's another song with twisted lyrics. Not the Poignant Santa exactly, but a deviousness that the Dave Matthews in Crash could surely appreciate.

It's a song that makes you want to get up and dance, but if you listen close you begin to wonder....is that....what....wow. That slut. This kid is infatuated with a prostitute. Ouch. It could be the same kid in Crash some 20 years later.

Great song. Great partnership. Great fun.

Call Me - Blondie
Blondie might have found themselves wandering through the latter day halls that birthed the VU. It would have been quite a trip to have had access to that 70's NYC music scene, seeing the rise of the VU, Blondie, Talking Heads, The Ramones, and on and on....

I like the music of Blondie that I know, and liked it even when it first came out. Of course, what I know is entirely based on radio airplay and a greatest hits collection, but her appeal is undeniable, and she (Deborah Harry) was certainly a pioneer among female artists, showing a rougher edge and being slightly trampy, and heading an otherwise all male band.

It's no wonder that T-Clog imagines Dr. Who when he hears this song, that very dated keyboard is almost playing the Dr. Who theme song. As such it defeinitely eliminates any chance of this song being considered timeless, though that's not to say it's not a good song. I like it, and it's definitely good party music and emminently jazzable.

City of Bliding Lights - U2
Bono and the boys have been making music to satisfy my soul for more than 20 years. Their latest albums continue a solid tradition of high quality music craft. While my favorite albums remain alternately Joshua Tree and Actung Baby, HTDAAB is universally excellent, and this song is one of my favorites from it.

It's got most of the U2 hallmarks. Good lyrics, ringing guitars, intricate drum playing, and serviceable bass. If nothing else Adam Clayton is probably bringing the beer, and never lets Bono get too uppity, so keeping him in the band is good for everyone. This song does have some crazy new guitar(?) effect going on - something that sounds a bit like bells ringing but clearly isn't.

I would say that this album sort of shows that Bono's best songwriting happens as a result of some larger inspiration, one that is lacking here. He still can pull off some solid songwriting, but it's no match for the heart rending of Achtung Baby, or the defiant anthemics of Joshua Tree. Those albums were much more snapshots in time that could never be duplicated. This album and the one that proceeded it are more universal, the product of a band spending less time sharing experiences together outside the studio. Still a joy, but not a revelation.

Parting Shots
From the beginning, T-Clog was a little reluctant to join in our little reindeer game. He's doesn't have the same thirst for music that I think the rest of us have. He loves music, and it gets him jazzed, but it's never been a principle activity in his life. Music for him is a glorious sunset, fleeting but elctrifying, while for the rest of us, to a greater or lesser degree, music has been the very air we breathe or a crisp fall day, something absolutely necessary for survival, or at the very least something to be walked through and absorbed by.

We all bring a unique take on music. We are shaped by it. And our friend T-Clog is no different. Bring on D-Songs! (but don't lose track of poor A and B)

7 Comments:

Blogger C.F. Bear said...

Thanks for the props Mix Daddy! Once again, I am at the library and I won't be able to see comments. If you want me to replay sooner than the next time I visit the library, zip them on hotmail. Thanks for getting your comments out. Now my shorts can come off.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Country and blues being "...songs about simple people with problems, down and out, but never really giving up."

I would generally agree about the first part, but disagree with the second part.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Very interesting, by the way, that our overall summary of this album-determined entirely separate from one another-is right in line.

on Come Together: If you read my comments, I'm actually not saying (and would almost never say with regard to the Beatles) that the playing is incredibly skillful, but it's the pure MUSICALITY of the playing; the notes that are chosen, the "parts" (as in, "my bass part" or whatnot) that are conceived, the genius of coming up with something unique that that contributes to a more interesting and better "whole" that I am loving. Big distinction. If, hearing individual layers of Beatles songs doesn't do much for you, well, I can (grudgingly) accept that. But the distinction is so great in my mind that I cannot be misunderstood on this point. It's the difference, in my mind, between loving Rush (or Johnny Lang) and loving the Beatles (or Camden Garden, I would like to think). I want to make sure we're speaking the same language before letting this go.

on City of Blinding Lights: I agree on Adam Clayton. Lucky as he is (and make no mistake, he may be the luckiest man in the history of rock and roll), I acknowledge U2 may not be the band they are (indeed, may not still be a band at all) were it not for him.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Adam Clayton more lucky than Ringo? The Beatles HAD a drummer before Mr. Starkey came along. Mr. Clayton was there from the beginning, and in fact was the principle reason they got gigs at the beginning. He was out beating the streets trying to get them work.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

I've already acknowledged that U2 might not exist if it weren't for AC. But I think we're approaching it from two perspectives. But I'm speaking in terms of relative talent. Pete Best was let go cause he was incompetent. From strictly a talent standpoint, Ringo earned his way into the band. It could certainly be argued that AC is the "perfect bassist for U2," but I don't think his bass playing displays much talent, from either a technical nor a musical standpoint. You almost certainly disagree on that second part.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

I think that you'll notice that I said 'serviceable' bass playing. Hardly a glowing endorsement of his ability.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

True, true.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home