Monday, February 20, 2006

Mix Reviews Volume 6

Perhaps I put my foot into my mouth, perhaps there is an element of subconscious theming going on here, but I couldn't help but connect the dots between February, Valentine's Day and nearly all of the songs on this collection. At first glance, 8/9 of 10 seemed to be straight up love songs, with the final song eluding my dotconnectability. With further listens, and I've had this way longer than anyone else, it became clear that there was far more going on in these songs than was immediately apparent.

It's actually funny that there might be some trepidation about presenting a collection of songs that one of us likes, right now. I think that when this little endeavor was launched, lo those 7 months ago, that is exactly what I thought it would be. Of course, I don't think any of us collects quite enough music to keep that up alone every time, but it should certainly be possible to be into 10 songs of new music every year or so. In between we would fill in with those collections that suited our fancy, hopefully exposing one another to aspects of music that we might otherwise miss. But that's just me.

So, to dig in....

1. Soul Meets Body - Death Cab for Cutie.

I'm a fan of DCFC, although I come to the party late. When the album (Plans) that this song comes from, was released it got some hype amongst some of the new music sources that I have, and I endeavored to check them out. I read some reviews and ultimately decided to get their previous album, Transatlanticism, which is excellent, but I will likely get Plans in the near future. Plans seems to have been their breakout album, though the mechanics of that are incomprehensible to me, just another of the many random aspects of the music industry.

They are great pop song writers in the best sense of the word. The lead singer and principal song-writer, Ben Gibbard, is also the guy we can thank for the lyrics to Such Great Heights. As such that vaults him into rarified air within the Coalescent Musical Coop, joining the ranks of just a handful to have already been included twice. I suspect we may see some more from him. And I know that, because it's likely to come from me. So there.

But to the song. A gem of pop songwriting. Clever lyrics mated to a tasty little melody, spiced up with some quirky synchopated drumming and interesting instrumentation, all tied up with a bow in under 4 minutes. This is perhaps more radio friendly than most of the stuff on Transatlanticism, as it's a bit more bouyant, but it's an undeniably fun song that I don't think I'll tire of hearing. Luckily I don't listen to commercial radio very often either, so I'm spared the beatings songs such as this can take.

2. So Beautiful - David Poe.
David Poe is new to me. Where did Miles come across this guy? He seems to be almost anonymous, even on the voluminous allmusic. Who is this David Poe, who releases albums and can't seem to get a review. Who does somebody have to shoot in the face to get some attention around here?

As someone who's vocal range would be lucky to encompass an entire octave, an octave whales use to communicate over thousands of miles of open ocean, I too appreciate a song I can sing. Mr. Poe's range doesn't really overlap with mine, but I do my best.

A lovely little song of love lost, but with the best of intentions. No ill will here, just hope for a better future, and seemingly an understanding that whatever it was that happened is all the singer's fault, and he's come to terms with that. The only thing that throws that off is the 'tired of being true' lyric. Perhaps this split was not so mutual. I hope it works out for both of them.

This song would be happy on a collection of other CMC hits, including both DanPR and The Poignant Santa, both for its acoustic nature and it's poignancy.

3. I Burn Today - Frank Black.
Another tale of lost love. It seems the Poignant Santa has been found been drinking with his old friend, Saint Valentine. The two are weeping into their beers, commiserating on all they've seen, finding solace in their shared empathy. At least that's how it starts. Does it turn into some sort of remembrance of things past?

I know of Frank as a solo artist, and am reasonably familiar with The Pixies, though not as big a fan as Faith is. I think we own everything they did, though I haven't made my way through all of it yet. Based mostly on this selection it seems like The Pixies' pop sensibility comes from Black Francis, while their punk sensibility comes from the sisters Deal, crazy bitches that they are.

I like the feel of this song, though lyrically it seems to wander around a bit on uncertain footing. The instrumentation is quite enjoyable, with enough variety to keep my interest over the long haul.

4. D-Artagnan's Theme - Citizen Cope.
This album takes a beating on allmusic. If it were all like this, I'm not sure it would deserve such a beating, but who knows. I like the feel of this song, though if Frank Black was on uncertain footing, this guy is on the final set of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. I'm not at all sure what the hell this song is about. It seems to include references to all sorts of things, none necessarily tied together.

D'Artagnan was the principle character in The Three Musketeers, but not actually a musketeer himself. He was on his way to become a musketeer, when he ran into the eponymous musketeers. 'too bad his time in, it just never came'?

Babylon was in what is now Iraq, and there's certainly a battle going on there. Is that the inspiration for the otherwise inexplicable helicopter sounds at the end?

The whole thieving pirates thing totally goes beyond me.

And finally, those damn levees, if they break, you ain't got no place to stay. Another very topical reference, but what does it have to do with the overall song?

I would like this song more if I could make sense out of it. As it is, it's still got a vibe that I can dig, and he's got the voice of 60 year old black man, which seems to fit the mood well.


5. Glory Box - Portishead.
This song goes back a long ways for me, to my early days of dating Faith. She had this CD from its earliest days. I've never known anyone else who had this CD. It's got a vibe, that's for sure. A vibe that I have an intensely personal connection to.

And oh, those Valentine's references to kick it off.

This is a woman who has found what she wants, but wants to make sure that her chosen one understands why she has chosen what she has chosen, and what she expects to complete the bargain. If he follows through....

6. Alison - Elvis Costello (and the Attractions).
No respect for The Attractions.

More Valentines. You're killing me with this so called 'themeless' collection.

I've long been a fan of EC, having been exposed to him early in life via my brother, who, while not a college sophompre in 1977, was at least old enough to know good music. Oddly, I only have his more recent albums going back to Spike, with only greatest hits collections to fill in the gap before that.

He certainly is/was a masterful lyricist. He manages to bend words totally to his will, which like so many others with that gift, helps overcome what to many is an unpalatable singing voice. I've never had trouble with it, but I know many who detest his voice.

That said, Alison is not among my favorite songs of his, though I certainly enjoy it when I hear it. This song is might be filled with sarcasm, and he throws in a good double entendre as well, but in the end, is this a guy who threw away his chance with a girl, whose life is now less than it might have been had he been part of it? Or just a bitter guy who got screwed?

7. Boots of Spanish Leather - Bob Dylan.
Great. Wonderful. Acoustic, folk Bob Dylan at his most masterful. Such a lovely and sad tune. Makes me want to sit around a campfire and sing sad tales.

Damn that Poignant Santa!

8. Time Has Told Me - Nick Drake.
So many sad stories of talent lost too early. Nick Drake was far less known to us in the following generation, but he seems to have effected many that were to follow, including our friend Iron and Wine. And boy did he seem to have talent. 3 albums to his name. 5 stars each. Hard to match that.

Another lovely tune from our Sad Man of the Uplands. Another tale of love on this themeless collection. What a soft-hearted feller you are, Mr. Miles. No wonder the ladies like you. I would have been surprised if Nick Drake, and of course, he who follows, was not on this collection. For some reason, I see you driving around in a convertible Volkswagen.... ok not really.

Lots of reasons to like this song, from the well-crafted lyrics, to the pleasing guitar arrangements. Also glad to hear that Richard Thompson was getting work. Still is getting work too, unlike his friend.

9. The Luckiest - Ben Folds.
I would have been thrown completely off kilter if this collection had not included Ben Folds. I know only one who likes Ben Folds as much as you. Oddly enough, if we'd hooked you up with Marcy, your movie script could've come true, for she has a real attraction for the skinny piano man. Ah, well...

It's a tough job as the modern pop/rock piano man. You can't be kick-ass like a guitar player, and you're trapped behind a half ton of wood and metal wire, limiting your ability to emote to the crowd. Your playing an anchor, and your principle role models are the ridiculous (though talented) Elton John, and the increasingly irrelevant Billy Joel, both of whom were many things, none of them ironic, or witty, or sexy.

Ben Folds has the first two in spades. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. He's no Michael Buble. He is a really clever songwriter, and this song shows off some of this, though it's more poignant than much of his other stuff, and I'm not sure I can quite get my arms all the way around that. Not so poignant as Brick say, but definitely way way way more than Underground, for example.

I like it, but it wouldn't make me buy a Ben Folds album.

10. The Nurse - The White Stripes.
Along with Citizen Cope, this is one of 2 songs on this collection that doesn't seem to fit my presumed theme, at least not quite as obviously. Are they the exceptions that prove the rule? No probably not, since that really doesn't make any sense with such a small sample.

But this does seem to be a song about trust, and if you read between the lines, could be about a relationship beyond those explicit in the song.

The White Stripes are a crazy band. So much sound from 2 people. So much wackiness in this song particularly. I think I'd really have to hear this one in the context of the album before offering a final verdict. As a stand-alone song, it seems a bit of a novelty, but I'm willing to defer that judgement.

Wrap-up.
A very solid collection, filled with some gems. Still not sure about the supposed themelessness, but it's your collection, so I guess that's your decision.

Best Song - Boots of Spanish Leather
SIWHI - whatever songs are hot on my playlist right now, which I'm not going to share.

Nice job. Take 5 months off, but don't forget comments for C-Songs. I haven't.

6 Comments:

Blogger C.F. Bear said...

Great job in getting Miles comments so fast. I am still listening to it and enjoying the album. As Yoda would say, "Comments in the near future I see."

12:36 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

LInks are the future....

Actually, as I write my comments I usually have about 4 internet windows open showing lyrics, your comments, the post (obviously) and any other relevant (principally allmusic) sources of info. Throwing in links is a piece o' cake.

I do write my comments entirely off the cuff, with no rough draft and barely any revisions. That may be painfully obvious.

As to the speed of my comments - I've had the cd for 2 weeks.

8:05 AM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

Pat you are just a good ole Higgly Town Hero. :)

10:55 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

More liner notes mean more pages which means more money to print which is a road that a guy like me is hard-pressed to go down.

If money was no object, I love the idea of my thoughts on each of the songs. Of course, based on my total number of album sales, I'd have no problem if all the people that bought my shit wanted to give me a call and just talk about the songs for awhile.

On a side note, just about my favorite liner note thing ever was when Peter Gabriel commissioned artists from all over the world to create interpretations of the different songs on "US." The results were WONDERFUL and have been quite inspirational to me, as an artist.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Mighty Tom said...

Excellent comments. I had no idea about the Death Cab/Such Great Heights connection.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Though I could not find it, I thik thie came up in Aaron's comments for DanPR.

The Postal Service version (including the lead singer/songwriter of DCFC) is much brighter/happier feeling.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home