Saturday, January 20, 2007

Response to Dan's King George

Thank you for your comments and thoughts regarding the compilation titled “King George.” And yes, the ideal King- Arthur, Richard or otherwise, seems to be embedded into the collective psyche of the British. Probably has a great deal to do with their ability to adore and maintain a royal line. And isn’t it wild, how America has come to develop their own since of royalty – be it a discussion of the tie worn during a speech, the first lady’s blouse during a ceremony, or the recent, “amazing” media coverage of G. Ford.

I find it difficult to compare evils and find it nearly incomprehensible to compare evils committed against entire peoples. It is much easier to generalize about large numbers of people than to consider the effect of evil upon an individual. That focus zeroes into a shared existence, “why couldn’t that have been me.”

I am not sure about your insistence on repeating the Mark Anderson quote, only an indication, I guess, that I continue to evolve and grow as the years go by- which I believe is a good thing, unless you do not like me at this moment for some reason. I’ve retained much, recaptured some of the good as I reach a new year or phase in development and attempt to endlessly blend the new with the best of the old.

You may be pleased to know that I still attempt to enter “Narnia” and believe that under most conditions, a hole CAN be cut into a dashboard to allow a tape to be played. Actually, the best way to sum this up is to reiterate a very strong belief that I’ve had since Johnson Street - anybody could wake up in the morning with a long, thick, purple nose. There is no reason that I can think of that would NOT allow this to happen.

Interesting, some of this may be more “bloggy” material, but it is fitting well enough. A funny quote that I may never live down with the ladies at the bookstore (a slice if you will – like bread to share)…two customers walk in, I deal with them, and send them up to the cashiers, customer one says, “that guy was funny.” A pause and then customer two adds, “yeah, in a weird way.” It is a very interesting time, being on the college campus and taking classes – it has given me much to reflect about. I wish I had on video some of the wildest bookstore situations to share.

Speak for yourself why don’t cha.

Rocking Chair: without a doubt I knew “celebrity” would be addressed. I was a little surprised at the “fuck you” given to George based on something you read that may or may not have been true and based on circumstances that you likely do not completely have all the facts for. It is certainly your right to take action and to vocalize your opinion and your interpretation of art and celebrity.

This idea of art and celebrity is confusing and has been discussed a bit before and may even be worthy of a blog post down the road, but loving the art is one thing, loving the artist is more difficult. I’ve experienced heartbreak when my idealized version of the artist was suddenly shattered or altered. I try not to fall into those trappings these days and feel reasonably comfortable with loving the art without necessarily knowing the artist. How can we? How can we believe anything presented to us by the media? I would love to feel as though I KNOW the artist based on my relationship with the art produced and could therefore love the artist as I would the art itself. This cannot be true. I tend to take comments such as, “I like The Killers,” to mean I like the art created by “The Killers” if spoken by friends, co-workers, or even myself. Paul McCartney. An artist that Dan and I have listened to and discussed for years. From the Beatles, Wings, solo years, and through our mutual discussions and listens to his music, reading of information, facts about his life, it seems that a rather DEEP relationship may have been formed. There is no doubt a relationship exists, but it is 100% one way, or I suppose 99.9% - he MAY have seen or heard us at his concerts, but do we KNOW Paul McCartney, sadly the answer is no. I know MORE about Paul McCartney than James Cook, but I MAY NOT KNOW Paul McCartney MORE than James Cook. It’s like doing a report on Woodrow Wilson in the fourth grade. I know many facts about Paul McCartney, but would still need to cite the sources.

Ski-ing: I have a feeling that all of us may have had an easier time hanging with George, but as stated above – we really do not know – maybe it would have been John that would have been the easiest, even though it SEEMS he MAY have been the most difficult. Interesting to think about, but impossible to know.

How to Know God: Glad you liked it, especially the page number part!

Wah-Wah: I can see your Hollies connection and your very late 60s/early 70s comment made me laugh, because, well, that’s exactly the time period for the song. I am glad you see/feel the joyous romp bit.

P-Fish: I love your take on this song. If there was a song that I would of hoped that you would have liked, it would have been this one. I did not know that you like zodiac stuff!!! You’ve got to be kidding – that is so cool, unless you are pulling my leg! Yes, high five on the zodiac!!

“Any connection to the transcendentalism & so on?”

I think so, see your bit below – you describe it perfectly

“I think I do like it better, listen by listen.” Me too!

“The topic-like he's hit upon what stirs him & makes him tick and now knows how to approach the rest of his life.”

I, too , love the low soul.


Party Seacombe: I thought you would like this one more than indicated. I do not think the context of the album would improve your view of this song, however.

ATMP: I like your take on this one and calling it George’s “Imagine.” I can see that.

G on R: Yes, yes, and YES!! I think I said the very same thing in my comments to Mixdorf’s comments.

When We Was Fab: I was pleasantly surprised by your comments to this one.

The Devil: Yes – and I forgot about the Smokey song, nice connection!

On The Bed: Thanks for the comment on the little story. Back at cha with your giant eagle bit – and I just saw “The Lady in the Water” so it had a particular resonance.

I knew you would like this song and am happy that you in fact, LOVE it. I obviously love it too, a real gem. Really LOVE it! It somewhat reminds me of Peter Gabriel music that you once used in your Humane Society video, or at least some of the feelings are the same, something from “Passion” – I wanted to wait until after your comments before I mentioned this. Do you see that at all?

IIAP: Isn’t it A Pity.

“Here Comes the Moon” was strongly considered, the trilogy from Wonderwall likely bumped a few off.

It is BECAUSE of the psycholgical damage brought on by post traumatic stress disorder that all the old men are in the pubs and all the young people are on drugs. This happened AFTER the Cromwell bit, it wasn’t that the English simply conqured a green land full of drugged youth and drunken elderly.

Entitlement and expectation and a sense of superiority – Europe – ahead in time, needing to take over, inlcuding the Irish, because they were like the rest – LESS. Dangerous ideas that have permeated the US – the Slave Trade, possibly the worst manifestation of such ideas. Ideas that are reaching new levels in government officials and upcoming generations. “We are entitled to a certain life style because we deserve it” “we deserve money for not working” “we deserve entertainment and food whenever we feel like it.” I think “feeling superior” to your fellow human beings leads directly to the MOST dangerous acts on our planet. I do not think it is human nature. I think it may be European Nature, and like a wave, it may destroy the earth.

For those that survive, it’ll all be captured on YouTube, until the very last human dies from being entertained to death. God may then decide to disconnect the internet for all time so that his/her friends won’t be embarrassed.



“And if there ever is gonna be healing
There has to be remembering
And then grieving
So that there then can beforgiving
There has to be knowledge and understanding”

SO


“Can you believe the news today
Try as you may you will not be able to make it go away
How long must we sing this song”

E TU


“…falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead”

JJ



During a race there has to be hope
Even faint and remote
The heart is pumping
Pumping against possibility
Content with its top performance
Without eyes it pumps
It may not give up
And it really doesn’t matter

The brain is with an eye
Hope here is not a lie
The mind can imagine sitting down for a good think
And work it all out
Computations and more
It cannot help but to reveal a possibility
The proof is irrefutable
Send the logic down and strengthen the spine

PG

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Great comments to comments.

Just because evils committed to entire peoples are of a magnitude that you cannot comprehend, that doesn't mean they don't still exist as a series of degrees. While I appreciate the humour behind Mixdorf's "they left behind trains," I agree that the damage was far more series & culture-altering. But if you are trying to suggest to us all that the Irish are stand alone among all the European people without blood on their hands, you only need look back a little further to find that even the Celts were just Gaul conquerers, albeit ones that did it in The BC. All this, great fodder for The Wool Gathering, of course, which we all eagerly await.

The MA quote: just fun to remember. All of it meant only in a complimentary manner-the whole "pleasant blend of the two."

On celebrity: I knew generally what response I would elicit when I said what I said, but it had been something I had associated with George for many long years, and thus felt I had to say it in this forum. The F.U. probably came across as a stronger sentiment than I really feel-which could have been perceived a little differently if you had just seen me do a casual flip of the bird in George's direction and an "F.U." at the whole situation, not a fundamental hatred, as in "Fuck Geoge Bush!" or something. More like, "Fuck the NBA" after your favorite team loses three in a row. I agree...none of us really know ANY of these people, except that we know them through their art.

On the Zodiac: I didn't say I like zodiac stuff. I'm just fascinated by it. I guess all I'd have to do is Wiki-it, but it seems like it's stuck in some sort of supernatural no-man's land, not truly accepted by the new-age mystics, "traditional religions," or even the pagans, which says a lot.

On PG/Passion thing: As I sit here right now, not listening to the song, I'm not sure I see the connection. I'll pipe in, down the line, if it hits me.

LOVE the God/internet concept.

However, while I will agree with you on the point that "it wasn’t that the English simply conqured a green land full of drugged youth and drunken elderly," you must concede that it certainly would have made the conquering quite a bit easier.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

I don't know.

Fighting a bunch of drunk and belligerent Irish might be tougher than one thinks.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Mighty Tom said...

Excellent comments to comments to comments. The Irish have blood on their hands, but they are not part of the European Superiority Club because they are viewed as "less than human", or "behind in time."

"none of us really know ANY of these people, except that we know them through their art." yes - and wow much has been said about this

Glad you liked God and the internet. God is not crazy about the internet - so you know.

Zodiac

The Irish get drunk cause they know the English are gonna kill 'em anyway.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home