Friday, January 12, 2007

* Walk of Life - Dire Straits (song 5)

From my days of watching MTV as a kid, to working at Philmont, to riding in the back of Mixdorf's truck Dire Staits has been there and had a small impact on me. I distinctly remember the videos and the powerful songs that was transmitted with them. Even though Money for Nothing was mocking MTV it played all of the time. However, the song that stands out more for me is Walk of Life. I really like this song and I marvel at how catchy the song remains. I hum or sing it and I am doing it all day. The up-tempo drives me forward and helps me walk the good life.

Ooooohhh, the sweet synth / keyboard is like a giant banjo minnow dancing infront of me daring me to grab it. Like a fat bass, I lunge for it. I LOVE it! More than he lyrics the music is what really makes this song for me. Walk of Life is sometimes more like a crazy spirit than a walk, but we all have to take it in stride and enjoy the path we are on.

While working at Philmont, I listened to a Dire Straits album that I borrowed from a coworker and it was great. I don't remember the album, but there was one song on there that was superior and it stuck with me since the summer of 93'. That song I believe was called Trail of Tears. It is a great song about the Cherokee people and their horrific journey they took across the south at gun point. It is on my next i-Tunes order.

I want to say the Mixdorf is a fan of Dire Straits or he use to be. Once, while driving up to Minneapolis one wintery break we listened to them. I was riding in the back of his brown Chevy S-10 while listening to Brother in Arms. This is one of the albums from which this song resides. I should mention that Mixdorf's Chevy became mine in the summer of 95'. Steve is probably the only one to be without that usless trivia, but not anymore. I remember enjoying that album and the songs that are on it. Some of the songs from that album include: Money for Nothing, So Far Away, Ride Across the River, and Why Worry. A great album that stands in a distinctive light within their own catalog. In England, Brother in Arms was the biggest selling album in the 80's. Listen to it, love it, and enjoy it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home