Tuesday, January 09, 2007

* Take On Me - A-Ha (song 11)

A-Ha formed in the early 80's. From this formation of musical talent came one of my favorite 80' hits. "Take On Me" hit number 2 in the UK in November of 1985. The song did one better in the US mostly because of it's creative video which was played on MTV over and over again. The video fused animation with real-life action which was a new technology / concept in the early to mid 80's. The album from which this song played from was called Hunting High and Low. This cohesive album carries the same energy and synthesizer pop fix that "Take On Me" provides.

As a kid growing up in East Waterloo we didn't have a lot. However, the one thing that we did have was MTV. I watched that damn channel all of the time. Early MTV was good programming. The song "Take On Me" became an 80's hit for me mostly because of the video. I remember being floored by the flow of animation and live-action in the video. The song it's self is an interesting story told best by Wikipedia.

The saga of the video begins as a blonde young woman (played by actress Bunty Bailey[1]) is in a coffee shop (London's Kim's Café), reading a comic book about competitive motorcycle racing.

Bunty Bailey and Morten Harkett in the "Take on Me" music video.

Bunty Bailey and Morten Harkett in the "Take on Me" music video.

After winning the race, Morten Harket (who plays the winner of the race) winks at the girl; she raises her eyebrows. He then reaches his black and white cartoon hand through the comic book pulling the girl into his animated world with his band in tow. Through a creative effect they both view each other through a comic frame which shows them (and the band members) alternately in live-action and animation.

The waitress, coming back for the bill, angrily crumples up the comic book in retaliation for what appears as a stiffing and throws it into the trash. As this happens, two of Harket's competitors in the race come back for revenge. One, wielding a monkey wrench, smashes the comic frame. Harket punches one of the henchmen, and retreats with the girl down a maze created by the crumpling. Harket tears a hole for the girl to escape through, as he faces the two. The entire coffeeshop peers over the counter at the heavily newspaper-print stained girl lying next to the waste-paper basket. The startled girl grabs the crumpled comic book and runs out of the coffeeshop to her room, where she tries to smooth out the creases.

One of the panels shows Harket lying unconscious, and she begins to cry. Harket then comes back to life - appearing in the girl's room - smashing himself against the wall as he flashes back and forth between animated and live-action. Eventually, he becomes the latter, and the girl and Harket embrace.

What I like the most about the song are the synthesizer and poppin beat that is carried throughout. The levels that he rises his voice to are incredible. His testosterone levels must be very low or he has not yet gone through puberty. Singing that high is a WOW factor for me. A-HA is from the Netherlands and which I think are apart of the European Union? Europeans have embraced the synthesiszer and have gone wild with it. I applaude them and their efforts for doing that. I believe that I would have a great time hanging out in Europe listening to what that continent has to offer. I am a solid fan of the synth, and feel that it is hard to have too much of it. Take On Me........................Take Me On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talking away
I don't know what I'm to say
I'll say it anyway
today's another day to find you
Shying away
I'll be coming for you love O.K.


Take on me
Take me on
I'll be gone
in a day or two


So needless to say I'm odds and ends
But that's me, stumbling away
Slowly learning that life is O.K.
Say after me
It's no better to be safe than sorry.


Take on me
Take me on
I'll be gone
in a day or two.


The things that you say
Is it live or just to play
My worries away
You're all the things I've got to remember
You shying away
I'll be coming for you anyway


Take on me
Take me on
I'll be gone
in a day or two


ad lib to end


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home