Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Response to Countrywithatom

Thanks, MT, for the well-considered commentary. Interesting to see you still on the outside looking in after this sample of what I consider to be the best the genre has to offer.
You're Stronger Than Me: Allright, I give up. If Crazy, I Fall to Pieces, and this one don't break through, you simply don't like baked beans. Interesting, the "Christmasy" comment. So what, did the Jordanaires underwhelm?
I Know One: Quickly becoming the star track of the disc. I wouldna guessed it.
Crazy Arms: "Lift" in the song a good way to describe the chorus, I think. Hi-five on the walking bass. Fun to hear, fun to play (actually, it was a style I remember you playing on occasion: "Knee Deep in the Blues," anyone?) Cline probably did not cover this, as she preceded Price, the songwriter, somewhat.
Raindrops Falling in a River: This one quickly becoming the "dog" of the album. Fiddle definitely has a different effect for me than for you. When used right, I do not at all consider it a "filler" sound.
Success: Interesting, your comparison of the two ways a rock musician can do country. A couple of people making comments (me & Stephen, I believe) have mentioned more or less how an album of songs like this is kind of like the distillation of an entire career's worth of love & homage crammed into 10 or so songs. Love of the craft shines through on such tracks. Do not remember Jenny Grits. I remember a Jenny who was a grit, though. Any of you Black Hawkers ever run into anyone, anywhere else in your travels, who knew what the Waterloo definition of "grit" was? I haven't.
Long Walk...: Another one being consistantly liked. Glad everyone seems to see the humour in the song, rather than thinking it's just another hard luck song. It could be a parody of a style and still embrace it honorably (think Honey Pie, by PMac; or a few Spinal Tap songs); but I don't think that's the case, here. And, while J.B. is also a fine, fine blues guitarist (you can imagine), this definitely is country, country, country. "Least country song" is a little odd to think about, since they're all country songs, but I'd say that this is pretty smack dab in the center of the country continuum. I suppose, with the exception (and only with the exception) of the guitar solos. Anyway, for a direct answer: I think humour intended, but NOT a parody.
Worst of All: As far as "twists," I'm not sure I was suggesting there was a twist in the sense that there is a "twist" at the end of a movie, but just that he has a different, more unique and lyrically well-crafted approach to some pretty standard themes of heartbreak.
Blue: I actually think she looks kinda trashy. But maybe you're into that.
Lock, Stock, & Teardrops: Good thing the production of country songs are not being overseen by people who have a dislike of steel guitar and fiddle. I LOVE the steel guitar in this song! as do (I'm guessing) other fans of the genre. But nice evidence of your residence on the outer rim of that bubble. Not sure if I see the suicide thing there, though I suppose it's possible. Glad you seem to see in her voice what I do.
I Can See Me Lovin' You Again: You got the "you" & "me" mixed up, though I should really talk about mixups, huh? That's be like me accusing someone of mistaking a puddle for a path. You really, really don't like steel guitar; as this song has (I feel) about the finest example of the instrument I have ever heard.

2 Comments:

Blogger C.F. Bear said...

Great follow up comments. I am liking this format a lot.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Mighty Tom said...

Thank you for your comments. Now for some comments on the comments about the comments. Again we are a People of Comments

I enjoy the Jordanaires.

Yes - love the walking bass, do not love steel guitar and country brand of fiddle filler playin'

The Jenny Grits was a fictional band

All righty

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home