Monday, November 13, 2006

T-clog's Take on Thirteen

Volume 13: Countrypolidan (Dan, October, 2006)

You're Stronger Than Me - Patsy Cline

Patsy Cline's voice is a treasure. She has a powerful throat and an amazing ability to belt out incredible combinations of notes and magic. She is way before my time, but her voice and artsmanship is timeless. The bass is steady and just deep enough that it grabs you by the hand and casually walks you through the song. Everyone knows that she has a lot of hits, but not everyone knows that she can make almost any song into a hit. I am reminded of my mother's hometown of Osage, Iowa when I hear this amazing woman sing. The reason being is that I often heard music like this at my grandma and grandpa's house when staying with them. Wow, what a flashback Dan. I can see my grandparents sitting at the table with the music playing on the radio. My grandma mashing her potatoes with a fok that was drenched in butter, and grandpa covering hi potatoes in black pepper. The Patsy Cline that I remember being played the most at my grandparent's was Crazy. I didn't think anything about the song, other than I really liked it. It was not until college before I was able to appreciate her more. I bought her greatest hits and have enjoyed it periodically through the years. This is one of the songs that is on that greatest hits album of mine.

I Know One - Jim Reeves

I really liked the background singers. They bring a much needed component to the song. It is a well played hand in songs of that era. To me, the dud-i-kas are interesting. I am curious as to what they are truely singing. Is it a word of just a sound? Which ever way, it is very interesting to me. The lyrics are the songs greatest characteristic. "How many fools would have you? I know one." Clever line Mr. Reeves. Is he related to Christopher Reves? The story is sad like 99% of all country songs, but it is a good story. You did a great job of roping in a song that captures the time in which it was created.

Not moved very much by this song. I can appreciate it and I enjoy listening to it, but it is not high on my list. It really sounds like an average song from that time. If you flipped me back into time and drove me across the states of Nebraska and Iowa in a 55 Chevy, every radio station that you could pick up would be playing songs that sound just like this. It was average at best. Like it, but I won't marry it.

Crazy Arms - Ray Price

Love the beat and the violin combonation. The gentle beat married with the angelic voice of the violin is in my opinion like dropping a date rape pill into my drink. I get it and I want more of it. The voice of Ray is very nice on my ears. The man is lonely all of the time. Get him someone in those crazy arms fast. Why is it that people have to be lonely? It pains me to see people who want love but can't find it. I thought that I would be one of those people until I met my lovely wife. Good song my little kitty cat brother!

The only thing that I thought was a little off for me was that he sounded old. Don't really like to hear old people sing. If you sound like an old guy it waters the song down for me, but if you are old and don't sound old, rock on Mother!

Raindrops Falling in a River - Johnny Bush

There are some great horns hidden in the background. Bring them forward man.

Definately not an artist that I would type into my newly beloved Pandora. Thanks again Methuen! Sounds like a good song if you were going to start up a country cocktail bar. If I was talking to someone when this song pops on the radio, I know that I would not even notice it playing. I believe that this is the driest part of the album. From here on out it will rain a lot and the water will fill the album banks and also rise up to get the bottom half of me wet.

Success - Elvis Costello

Hats off to Mr. Costello. I am amazed on how you can flux between rock and country. I really like this song. Great voice and great sound. I have to explore getting some of his works. Does anyone recommend an album that has 10 awesome songs on it? It seems as if I have asked about him before, but I can't be certain. If you suggest one to me before please d it again. I want to start making a list of artists to buy albums from and to listen to more. This being the real purpose of this club. Love the song Dan. It might be my favorite on the album.

Long Walk Back to San Antone - Jr. Brown

LOVE the deep voice and the song. It is a powerful and entertaining song. It has a deep country aroma that transends rockabilly and the blues. I can't get enough of the steel guitar. Just a wonderful song and a flippin ludicrous story. Like Methuen said in his comments, "Why walk back?" Get out man. If you can't leave just hitch a ride with an armadillo. Just watch out for trucks. When I was cowboying it up in Texas, I seen a dead armadillo at least near every mile marker. They have no sense of safety or have good traffic sense.

Worst of All - Mike Ireland

Unlike Methuen, I like this song a lot. Yes, the twang pops like that of a southern hillbilly setting of fireworks inside his house, but I appreciate the unique sound of that country twang. This tune catures the simple and raw feeling of lost love. My hat is off to all those country boys who can put such heartache into something so creative. How easy is it when your heart is ripped out of your chest to do something insane? I can imagine flying off the handle if my heart was torn from my warm and buttery chest. Instead they create magic. Is the song a downer? Hell no man! I have great empathy for the guy. I also have a new sense of appreciation for the great things in my life. I said it before and I will say it agian. These songs end up making me feel good. No matter how bad things are going for me, at least I have it better than what the song is singing. Good pick Dan. I truly dig it man.

If it is true that he is faking his twang, then I say humbug. Be yourself guy. If he has a natural twang then ignore my last couple of sentences.

Blue - LeAnn Rimes

LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was going to buy this song with my itunes card, but thanks to Dan I don't have to now. Thanks! I love all aspects of this song. The bewitching yodelling is so haunting that I literally get goosebumps. Fantastic pick!

Lock, Stock, & Teardrops - k.d. Lang

I like the range in her voice.

I really didn't get a whole lot out of this song. I don't care to much for k.d. Lang. The song is not bad, but it didn't make me think of anything except that I don't like her music. Crazy I know. Just don't and probably never will. Sorry.

I Can See You Lovin' Me Again - Johnny Paycheck

Your album has finished strongly with me old man Dan. I really like his voice. It sounds gentle and strong. It is very Don Williams like to me. The story is great. He really loves her and would do anything for her. What a great pick me up. He has hope and that's always good medicine. What is there not to like? LOVE IT Danny! LOVE IT!

The wrap: My format is different this time because I didn't want to type all of the grades. I have to get this out to you now before it gets too late. Speaking of late, we should not expect our November CD for some time. That will leave us with little time before December's CD comes out. Anyway, back to Dan's CD. Your score is very high. I scored your album at the grand number of 8. That means I liked it a lot. Good job Dan!

5 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Why only six songs reviewed?

Elvis Costello's Greatest Hits (including The Attractions) - there are several albums - would give you a dose of EC across the ages. If you like his country vibe, Almost Blue might fit the bill.

9:55 AM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

I am not done typing them in that's why. It is pissing me off. It is getting to be a major pain in the ass. Can only type at school. Don't want to type on my laptop and paste them on my Dell because they will look jacked up like last time. Hold off on comments please untill ten are in. They will be done I predict by 9:45 my time. I have to take my kids to PE now. Then I will finish my comments.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Use the SAVE AS DRAFT option.

10:06 AM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

Where's my comments to comments? :)

1:01 PM  
Blogger Mighty Tom said...

We did feel nearly the same about the Johnny Bush Beans song, and yes you mentioned the horns Cory. I did not, but I agree that they should have been brought out more.

Thanks for sharing on Crazy Arms, I know lonliness was often on your mind.

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home