Sunday, November 19, 2006

Response to "T-clog's Take on Thirteen"

Overall: what can I say - I knew I would score with at least one of you bozos. As far as music, you are, without a doubt, Association Man. Not because of any particular love for "Never My Love," but because you see all songs through a pair remembrance-tinted glasses. I remember one among us (Stephen) once saying, back in high school, that "...it's hard to dismiss your associations," or some similar statement. He was, at the time (as I recall), trying to justify on my behalf a liking I had for a certain glam-rock tune, after I mentioned it always reminded me of some event or another. Hazy now, the whole situation, but the spirit of the statement always stuck with me. So, after all these years, as I can usually dissect and extract individual elements from songs, I am still able to recognize and respect the powerful influence of our own memories & association of songs with particular people, places, & events in our respective lives. Indeed, with almost every song & band, I can remember where I was, as well as what I was doing & feeling, at the moment I first heard it/them (almost like the "where were you when JFK was shot?" thing...) That said, the extent to which your memories influence how you hear music continually blows me away. Almost like I'm Picard when he lands on that planet with this alien that can only speak through allegory. There can be no debate as to who has the "superior" way to appreciate music, as they both get the job done and we both get boundless joys from our listening. But we are worlds apart.

Strange, then, that we converge in the arena of country. Perhaps not so strange, however; given our respective personal histories with the music (from our youth). Though it's no longer the "filter" through which I hear & evaluate the songs, developing a comfort with this style on AM radio in the 70s was definitely was allowed me to get my foot back in the door in my 20s.

On to the songs:

1. You're Stronger Than Me: I wonder if we have the same Greatest Hits. Black, with a weird sort of airbrushed Patsy wearing a cowgirl shirt on the front? Anyway, that was one of my first country discs. It definitely has some amazing songs on it. Since then, I've aquired only one more disc by her, though it is an album, rather than a collection, (1961's Sentimentally Yours) and I feel fortunate to have a bit of a sneak peek into just a few her lesser-heard songs. I think your: "Everyone knows that she has a lot of hits, but not everyone knows that she can make almost any song into a hit." comment is a funny one. Almost sounds like something that someone writing liner notes to some LP in the 70s would say.
2. I Know One: Pretty sure that's just a sound, there. Not a word. Clever line, but not written by Jim Reeves. I don't think he penned any of his own material, which is a pretty common thing in CP, & most country. It was written by the long-forgotten Jack Clement.
3. Crazy Arms: OK, let's all agree this was the first and last time we'll ever drop a date-rate drug reference in the CMC. Glad you liked this one. Don't like to hear old people sing? What the hell? After all these years, now we know the truth. Geez, lay off the old people, dude! What are you, PMix???
4. Raindrops Falling in a River: Agreed, they could bring those beautiful horns out a bit more.
5. Success: Recommendation on EC album. Well, if you like EC and you like country, Almost Blue (from which this song comes) seems like a pretty safe bet. I find it just a little erratic, but there's some beautiful gems on it. He really, really gets the genre, and his love & reverence for it shines through. And a great album cover!!! Although, I would add the Mixdorf caution that this is not indicative of most of his material is is a lot more sort of mildly avant-garde & alternative.
6. Long Walk Back to San Antone: LOVE the deep voice & the song, also (hi-five through the blog!) Thanks for the extra bonus feature on armadillos. It made me check back to see if I had posted a "100 word minimum" requirement on my comments.
7. Worst of All: I share (and maybe exceed) your liking for the song, but in this particular one you may possibly be missing what he's saying in these lyrics. While things are by no means rosy in his paranoid world, he's not currently experiencing breakup, heartache, or any of those associated lost-in-love scenarios (though he may soon be). Sounding in again on the twang: I sort of think that he's accentuating a normal accent he has, because he thinks it adds to the song. I think it works and I love the song. Who am I to judge his artistic vision? Most people don't talk with vibrato (Sally Struthers notwithstanding). Do I decry the vibrato in their singing as "fake?"
8. Blue: Glad you loved it. Definitely bewitching yodeling by the 13-year old. Goosebumps OK. Hard-on, not OK.
9. Lock, Stock, & Teardrops: Song by Roger Miller, of course. Do you not like the song, or not like her rendition, or what? Are you possibly scared of kd Lang? She is as God made her.
10. I Can See You Lovin' Me Again: Again, blogger hi-five, this time followed by a "blog-roll." I love this one, too. Every cotton-pickin' thing about it. Perhaps by own personal BS pick.

The wrap. Glad you returned to the fold on the comment style. Too much computer code language, intended or not, in your other style. This way-much more readable and discussion-friendly (and easier for you, it sounds like). "Your score is very high. I scored your album at the grand number of 8. That means I liked it a lot. " Thanks, dude, but I understand if you just say you gave it an "8." For, you see, I'm not retarded.

4 Comments:

Blogger C.F. Bear said...

You mean your.... not retarded?

9:22 AM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

Patsy Cline - Yes we have the same album. I remember seeing it your house on time. It is a good album. I want to thank you for the compliment on writing liner notes for old time country artists. Makes me feel sparkly inside. :)

3:51 PM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

Should say: I remember seeing it at your house one time.

3:53 PM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

First of all, I never intended to have a screwed up posting with computer lingo. Just crappy technology and some that didn't match with each other.

Secondly, I am scared of k.d.Lang. Not because she is gay either. Don't care for her voice.

Thirdly, I still like my other format better, but may be forced to switch back.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home