Tuesday, January 09, 2007

* I Won't Back Down - Tom Petty (song 10)

I have been on the fence for awhile with this song, and have just recently allowed myself to place it into this album. What I mean is that I can easily throw this song into three or four albums that I want to put together. Full Moon Fever is an awesome album. There are few albums out there that I buy because all of the songs are gems. Usually, especially in the old days, you have to buy the entire album even if you liked only a couple of songs. Those days are over thank God. I bought this album back in the 80's when I only had a cassette player, thus it is not played any longer. I am very tempted to look for it online in the cd format. I have a greatest hits album that has "I Won't Back Down", my favorite Tom Petty song, so I guess that's why I have not gone ahead and tracked down the album on cd.

In my opinion, the music and lyrics are very explosive on this album. "There ain't no easy way out ...But I won't back Down" is a theme that underdog lovers flock towards. I love flexing my discernment muscle in the blind eyes of corrupt authority. I won't back down either. The beat in this song marches strong and it's simple structure makes it easy to tap my foot to. At about the 1:50 mark you will hear some outstanding guitar paired with the steady drum beat picks me up to new levels of feeling it. This song broke into the top 20 in 1989, and has been my top 100 ever since.

1989 was my first year on camp staff. Was that the year all of us except Methuen worked on staff, or was it 1990? I remember hearing it and playing it at Elliott.

Well I won't back down
No I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down

/ Bm A D - / / Bm A G - / 1st /

No, I'll stand my ground
Won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground
And I won't back down

... / Bm A D GD /

{Refrain}
I won't back down
Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
I won't back down
Hey I will stand my ground
And I won't back down

/ G D A D G - A GD / G D A - Bm A D - / Bm A D - /

Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I'll stand my ground and I won't back down

{Refrain thrice}

No, I won't back down

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home