Friday, January 12, 2007

* Magic - Cars (song 6)

The Cars were the most successful American new wave band in the late 70's and early 80's. What is known as mechanical pop / rock, the Cars music captured the top 40 many times and many of their albums became platinum.

The first time I heard this song was when I was in Eau Claire, Wisconsin visiting my cousins. Todd and Shawn were a few years older than I was and they always did cool things. I think that I was about 13 and very impressioable. They listened to a lot of Scorpion, which I didn't like, and the Cars. The line "twisted on the sideways down" has been in my head since that vist, and the Cars have too. The band has a great and unique sound. The lead-in is one aspect to this song that I find powerful and intriging. As a newbee fan of the electric guitar, I have discovered new aspects to this song that I never really appreciated before. There are some great representations of awesome guitar work throughout this song.

I also remember hearing this song while at Camp (WSR). I have to guess that it was Gibbons and the Eology Staff that brought forth these tunes and played them generously for those visiting the area to enjoy. Thanks Gibbs for great memories and music at camp.

In my collection, this song comes from The Cars Greatest Hits album. Even though the song sold over an infinity of copies on 1984's Heartbeat City, many old-school Cars fans thought that it was too much of a bubble gum pop tune. bubble gum I think not! It is more like those warm and wondrful mini donuts from the state fair for your hungry ears. I flippin' love this song and it had to be included on this album. The word magic is mentioned someplace else on this album so listen carefully. did you find it?

On the cover of mt greatest hits album there are little toy cars. I once had one of those little toy cars, the blue one, and it came with a camper that it pulled. Clearly a 50's toy, it was made of metal and so was the camper. How time has passed. The days were you pulled a camper with your car are over. Who does that anymore? You are mocked if you are not pulling your camper, trailer, boat, yard debris, or horses without an oversized monster truck made by Ford or Chevy. Sorry Gibbs. Just a bit of fun info for me to share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home