Monday, October 10, 2005

Aaron's Timely and Insightful Volume 1 Comments

OK, maybe neither timely nor insightful, but here are my thoughts on Volume 1. First, thanks to Pat for the great idea, and a great collection to kick it all off. Oh, and thanks for making it so easy, track 1 "Go," track 10 "Stop." I didn't even have to figure out what to do! I know you have all been waiting eagerly for this, so without further ado...

Go: Great start to a great album. Maybe my second favorite of theirs. Mighty Tom often would extol the virtues of Vitalogy, but I have never been able to get into that one as much. I still say their best is Yield.
Army of Me: Never met a Bjork song I didn't like, and I love most of them, including this one. Bjork is one artist I can always count on to pick me up when I need it. The video is also incredible. Not much can compare to Bjork's music paired with the vision of Mike Gondry, or Spike Jonze. Each of her albums present a new sound, and this one was a great sophomore effort (sorry, had to say it). The absurd lyrics of Hyperballad and The Modern Things always make me smile.
American Idiot: I like the song, and the album is ok, but musically I think it doesn't seem like they have changed much since Dookie. Better than Nimrod, but I think they were at the top of their game for Dookie, of which I think Dan said "The songs stack like Pringles in the can."
Seven Nation Army: That bass line does get in your head. It seems like hating on the White Stripes and other guitar rock revivalists is the hip thing to do (and I am not much of a fan of the others I have heard), but Jack and Meg do it up right, and they have an almost intangible energy and soul to what they do that others seem to lack.
London Calling: Like Dan, I've never been a Clash fan. I do like this song, though I've been hearing it too often lately on The Current and 105.
Zoo Station: I like the song, and the album, and I know that they are great (U2's Rubber Soul/Revolver if you will) but like Vitalogy, I have never been able to really get into it.
Black Dog: Maybe my least favorite Zep tune for just the reasons mentioned. It is the same reason I sometimes roll my eyes when I hear Hotel California despite loving the song. I don't listen to enough Zeppelin.
Smells Like Teen Spirit: Great song, over-rated album. I do also love Come as You Are, and Lithium, but much of the rest of the album... Meh. Given the choice, I am more likely to pop in Grohl's Foo.
Tom Sawyer: Love the song, and I like the album, though I lost it at some point, and have yet to replace it. I know what Dan is saying, and now I can't help but think of Tenacious D's Tribute, or Wonderboy.
Stop: Great song. I'm not as down on the album as Dan, though I don't listen to either enough.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Always better late than never. Glad you could find time to post here, with your own blog wasting away.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Good interesting comments. Funny, my previous remark on "Dookie." I don't recall saying it (though I agree with it). It almost sounds like something Gibbs would say, but I don't know if he even has the album in his collection.

What IS the deal with Blog of His Own, anyway? I check daily. It is updated semi-monthly, and then only if you are tagged. Elsa-baby still kicking your ass?

2:47 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

More substantive reply.

Yield? I would put that 4th or 5th on my list of PJ albums, after Vitalogy, VS and Ten at least (in no particular order).

Dookie, while filled with punk-pop great ditties, is not an album, it's jsut a collection of punk-pop ditties. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that. American Idiot may not be better than Dookie, but it does strive to be an album.

Definitely hard to think of pompous theme rock like Rush without thinking about Tenacious D.

Get with it man, bloggin' wise. Spending too much time working through Buffy and its spinoffs, not enough time filling our lives with your goodness.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Mighty Tom said...

You gots to hear Nevermind again....sure the hits are good, but you be be overlooking a few good uns...

I'lls tells you more when I discuss Teen Spirit.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

I would agree that Nevermind is as good as the hype. A clssic collection of pop craftsmanship.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

I disagree that Dookie fails to be an album. Why is a string of pop hits not an album? Do you require your catchy songs to be interdispersed with crappy ones, Sack?

3:54 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

No, asshole.

We've been through this before. Putting 15 songs together on the same disc doesn't make it an album. I get no sense from listening to Dookie that the songs are related or attempting to work together in any way. They could be in any order, songs could be left out, etc and you wouldn't notice the difference.

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home