Thursday, September 29, 2005

Dan's "Beginning" Comments

Not necessarily the album I would have expected from Mixdorf. Among the songs there were none I did not previously know, and I was thinking he had drifted off to more ecclectic realms. Nevertheless, I have known that his pulse has long been more firmly on popular alternative than mine, as well as the straight-ahead rock vein. And it shows in this first, fine offering.
- Go: I'm assuming this is the album after Yellow Ledbetter (sp?). Nice, fun, & relentless. Couple very heavy-metalish guitar solos in there! Not your style, I would've thought...
- Army of Me: Next to "anything by U2," you may remember this album as being a party staple for some of the earliest Johnson Street get togethers. I love the album, and this is a great song. During choruses (are they choruses-"and if you complain once more..." I love the distorted little guitar be-de-de-de-dehs in the background). And I think I hear the power-ups. What's not to like about that? You could also say there is an ongoing synthesizer sound of when you meet the turtle at the end of every level.
- American Idiot: Sounds like they still have (or can have) a similar sound & energy to the "Dookie" album. While I appreciate the sentiment of the song, and think it's a fine song overall, I don't find the melody particularly inventive or groundbreaking.
- Seven Nation Army: So compelling a bassline, that it feels like I've known it since long before the song came out. Do you remember my old Time Did Yank Us song, "Pizza Man?" Not unlike that, oddly. I love the line, "If I catch you coming back my way I'm gonna serve it to you, and I know that's not what you want to hear but that's what I'll do."
- London Calling: Never been a Clash fan. They've always been such amazing critical darlings, & that probably didn't win them any points with me. But I'm really not a fan of his voice. The song is OK.
- Zoo Station: What can I say? Not only the kickoff song to one of the most convergent albums in terms of our musical tastes from all times, but also a Time Did Yank Us acoustic concert staple. Rest assured, I would sing it better these days. Not the best song from the album, but definitely a good one for setting the stage.
- Black Dog: Not just dorm yahoos, but classic rock stations with unbelievably short playlists. It really is tough to separate yourself from your association with how overplayed this song has been in the past 30 years. But it is a great one.
- Smells Like Teen Spirit: Great, landmark song-and the beneficiary of perfect timing. Not much to say that hasn't been said. It's tough for me to hear this song without thinking of Weird Al's version, which would thrill Kurt Kobain to no end.
- Tom Sawyer: I do think they are a silly, silly band, and anytime I start to get into one of their songs, I start picturing them taking their lyrics & theatrics seriously, ala Spinal Tap, and I once again cannot take them very seriously.
- Stop: Great song; unfortunately, one of few on this markedly worse follow-up to Nothing's Shocking. Jane's Addiction was way, way ahead of their time and way, way underrated, lyrically musically, and technically-wise.

11 Comments:

Blogger C.F. Bear said...

A very detailed response from you. Good job cowboy.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

That's what I do. I know what it's like to want song-by-song comments.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

I appreciate the thoroughness of your review.

This particular batch is NOT what you'll likely hear from me in future installments, but once I had the idea for the 'theme' I figured I should follow through.

As far as heavy metallish guitar goes, it all depends on the context. If it's appropriate and not just what the song is about, then bring it on. If all you've got is heavy metal guitars, I'll pass.

Go is from their follow up to 10, which included Jeremy, etc. Yellow Ledbetter was an album or so AFTER this and never really released as part of an album.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

I think I may have referenced the wrong name. I'm not talking about the one with the beautiful "Little Wing" guitar intro, but the fast & furious one that kind of helped spawn a bunch of Pearl Jam knockoff bands...

3:30 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Not sure.

Ten was their debut - at the beginning of grunge, contemporaneous with Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Versus followed with Go, along with Daughter (...don't call me daughter...) and at least one other radio track.

After that came Vitalogy which Mighty Tom and I are strong advocates of.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

You & Gibbsy are the Heckle & Jeckyl of popular music listening, much in the way you & I are with political views.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Funny too, from a man (Mighty Tom) who rejected U2 outright for years, and who was only turned to the light by an attempt to get in some pants that were not his own.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Wow, and you were willing to let him do that in order to get him to listen?

10:54 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Don't tell T-Clog.

But sadly no, they were female pants, in stark contrast to Female Hands.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Mighty Tom said...

Dan - on your Army of Me Comment - did you mean Debut as opposed to Post? I remember Debut being played at J-Street Parties.....

3:31 PM  
Blogger Mighty Tom said...

Vitology is Great.

And Mighty Tom failed to GET INTO the pants...but he did GET INTO U2

I suppose it was a fair trade-off...

no, actually it wasn't at all

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home