Monday, September 11, 2006

Here's my thing...

I was going to post my status last night, and saw that a consensus had been reached. To clarify what Dan had said, at no point was I planning on not commenting, but the fact is they are not likely to arrive in a timely manner. For me the main appeal of this venture is receiving and sharing the music. While I enjoy reading and posting comments on the collections, if someone decided they didn't want to comment on a given selection, it is no skin off my back.

As far as it being a matter of an hour a month, maybe I'm slow, but I generally spend three to four hours (often more) composing the comments, and the fact is I haven't had time to do this for the last two collections. I have finally dug deep enough into The Three Trolls to feel like I was ready to write my comments, and Coca-Cola Cowboy would be soon to follow. A day late, and a dollar short, I guess.

If you cannot fathom not being able to find a few hours out of 720, I am happy for you. Honestly, if I had a couple of free hours right now, I would use them to sleep, and that is no one's problem but mine. I've been pressured for the late comments in the past, and blasted for comments that were too short when I had nothing else to say, so it seems clear that my efforts are not good enough. I wish you all happy listening.

7 Comments:

Blogger C.F. Bear said...

Aaron, nobody wants you out! We are all busy but don't know of your situation. I would like to see you stay and to respond when you can. If it is just a few words so be it. You will no longer be crucified for late and little responses.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

GUYS! Let's take a step back. Aaron-you sound pissed, and I was hoping that wouldn't be the result of this. As so often happens via email, it sounds like everything is getting all fucked up in our messages.

I don't have your original email you sent me since I'm at work right now, but the way I read it sounded like you were very specifically saying you didn't have time to join the discussion, period. That's the whole premise of the "kicking you out" thing. If you can get around to making the comments, Jesus, we want to keep you. It's as simple as that.

Honestly, though, it's been really tough to get a read on where you're at with this. I know you've mentioned at various times that you're busy (who isn't-but I realize you've got an odd schedule thing going with Elsa-care), but you've not been very clear about your status with CMC, you must confess. All we really know is that, after you sent out RE (what, April?), we've gotten nothing. Some of the rest of us spend 3-4 hours on comments, ourselves (and have to plan out the night to do them well in advance), and having not gotten any feedback on our "RE" comments was kind of discouraging, as well.

In any event-considering there were 4 months without anything AJ-related and then an email where (again, maybe I totally misread it, but it sure seemed like) you were saying that you would not be commenting, I don't think we were being too mean by saying that we didn't think it would be a good idea to keep sending stuff your way.

I second Cory in saying that we want you in if you can contribute, but I'd challenge you to evaluate whether you think your schedule is really going to free up enough to allow you to "catch up." For whatever reason, you got behind a couple of months, and I don't want you operating with a dark cloud over your head because of some expectation that you can't keep up with. And I definitely don't want to be in the position of feeling like I need to apologize (which I almost felt, reading your post, here) for maintaining an expectation that the people in CMC are able to contribute-whether fast or slow.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Let me simply add this:

Anyone who has known me for awhile knows I have a real gift for being hypersensitive to saying the wrong thing, then overthinking the approach, and eventually bungling things in a near-irrepairable manner.

The long and the short of it is that if you're willing & able to still participate, we have no interest in kicking anybody out.

11:45 PM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

How about we just kick each other in the balls and be done with it? :)

10:15 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

A risky proposition from the mouth of one known as 'dog balls'.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I'm not really pissed, but it is obvious I am coming at this from a completely different place than everyone else. In light of that, perhaps it is for the best for everyone else.

9:27 AM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

Pull up those boot straps and march on brother. You seem to leave it wide open, are you taking a pit stop or are you going to continue at your own pace.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home