Sunday, March 12, 2006

Moving Westward on the V-6; Next stop, end of the line.

I too was sure that February 14 played a role in the creation of this collection. Oh well.

1. Soul Meets Body - Death Cab For Cutie

Like Mighty Tom said, finally I hear Death Cab for Cutie, and not just heard about them. Almost. I have heard them on The Current a couple of times, and I also downloaded one of their songs ("Title and Registration") for free as part of an iTunes new music sampler, but I have heard more about them than actually hearing their music.

It took a couple of listens, but I am starting to dig this song. There are many cool things going on, and that makes this the kind of electronic music that can appeal to me. I also love the melody, especially the ba da ba da ba bas.

It seems odd to me that someone’s project is so similar to their “other” project. Between Death Cab, and The Postal Service I think I am more likely to purchase TPS. There is a good chance that you will hear Gibbard’s voice again in the future.



2. So Beautiful - David Poe

I really dig the melody of this tune, and I love the guitar’s statement of the melody. The "sorrys" are so sincere that I feel bad for the guy.There are elements (including the melody, and the tone of Poe’s voice) that remind me of Foo Fighter’s Walking After You.

I may seek out more of Poe’s material.



3. I Burn Today - Frank Black

I was aware that Black was with The Pixies, but I have only hear their, or Black’s, music a handful of times. Three songs, three strong melodies. Black’s vocal style is wonderful, and the music compliments it well. I love the blending of the background guitars, the subtle drumming, piano, and the other instruments.

Mighty Tom, this is who we are.



4. D'Artagnan's Theme - Citizen Cope

I’m still waiting for this one to grow on me. Like the MixMaster I have no clue what this song is about. It is almost like one of those rope-skipping rhymes that takes a 90 degree turn at the end of each stanza to avoid the naughty word. Maybe that is what it is that won’t let me really like this song. I like his voice, and the overall feel of the song, but there is just something that won’t let me in.

Anyone else notice that in addition to the helicopter sfx there is also the sound of a bus?



5. Glory Box – Portishead

I’m only familiar with Portishead by name, but I like what I hear. I can get lost in the mood of this song every time. Great voice, great ethereal texture to this music. This song reminds me of Tindersticks, or it could be at home on Crash Test Dummies Give Yourself a Hand. In fact Gibbons sounds a lot like Ellen Reid.



6. Alison - Elvis Costello

You bastard Miles. This song was green-lighted for Volume 9. Who let this guy in the club? It’s all right; I think the theme for the next edition has changed anyway.

Now to the song. I LOVE this song. The guitar and drums and bass at the beginning make me smile every time. The great guitar continues throughout the song. The simple snare fill before the chorus is perfect. The lyric that Miles highlighted is great, but my favorite part of the song is the one-two punch of the music and the great “Alison, I know this world is killing you. Oh, Alison, my aim is true” lyric.

I inexplicably don’t have this album yet, but it is on my to-get list. Elvis fans should check out Delivery Man. Wonderful.



7. Boots Of Spanish Leather - Bob Dylan

It took a few listens, but I am really digging this song now. There is some wonderful guitar playing, and we are presented with another fabulous melody. Speaking of the melody though, parts of it really remind me of “A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall.” Like Pat, this song makes me want to sit by the fire, but I am thinking of a fire by the sea, or closer to home (mine, and Mr. Zimmerman’s) Lake Superior.

The only Dylan I own is Time Out of Mind (I highly recommend), but I think I may add this to my list.



8. Time Has Told Me - Nick Drake

A great big thank you to VW. Without that ad it may have been a long time before I discovered Nick Drake, if ever. Like all of his songs “Time Has Told Me” is a sublime gift of Drake’s sweet voice, and subdued and amazing arrangements. Give a listen to the electric guitar at the 1:57 mark. It would be at home on Abbey Road, and it is equally wonderful here. We only have Way to Blue: An Introduction to Nick Drake (I couldn’t find any of his original albums when I had the irresistible urge to buy). I really do need to purchase them all.



9. The Luckiest - Ben Folds

There is something about Ben Folds that has bothered me, and I don’t know what it is. I think it stems from “Brick.” I never really was able to get into that song. I felt like I should, but something that I couldn’t place made me hate it, then like it, then hate it, then like it…

“The Luckiest” may be a chance for a fresh start for Ben and me, and we owe it all to Miles. There is some lovely piano in this piece, but not outstanding. What draws me in is the melody and Folds’ voice, especially in the first line, but it also continues throughout.



10. The Nurse - The White Stripes

I am a fan of Jack and Meg, but I’m still not completely sold on this song. The marimba is a nice touch, but I think the song may still need some time to grow on me.


That’s a wrap.

Great collection. Not a single song I didn’t like. 4 and 10 may need a bit more time, but I certainly don’t dislike them. 2,3,5 and 7 are great discoveries for me.

BS: We have a tie between “Alison”, and “Boots of Spanish Leather.” Boots wins the tiebreaker by being new-to-me.

SIWI: The Jayhawks “All the Right Reasons.” That fits with the theme nicely, don’t you think???

9 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Impressively quick turnaround - oh ye of the late arrival.

I haven't heard much Postal Service but I think there is a greater emphasis on electronics than with DCFC. Funny, I wouldn't consider SMB an electronic song at all.

There is a female singer named just Poe. Don't be confused.

If you like Glory Box you'd probably like the whole album (Dummy)- it's very solid all the way through.

Good old Bob seems to have won the BS contest for this collection.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Late arrival? I actually got this almost a week before Dan.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

SMB has the acoustic guitar, but I think everything else is electronic. It is up tempo, and I find it to have a similar feel. "Title and Registration" also has many of the same properties.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Funny - my confusion has now been cleared up.

I thought this entry WAS from Dan.

Now that Dan has commented - all is clear.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Yeah, cause I HATED glory box.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Pretty strong words there, Mr. Cherry Tree Carol.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Hate is a good term to use. Everybody hated Pale Boy. It was hard to hear, but it wasn't a perjorative, or mean-spirited. It was an accurrate statement of how people felt about it.

I think I was in some dangerous territory in my comments about the Natalie Imbruglia song, though, & I probably owe T-Clog an apology for that. I got into kind of a rant and I couldn't stop.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Back to the electronic nature of DCFC vs TPS.

As far as I can tell, TPS is Gibbard's voice and lyrics and an entirely electronic score, drums and all. There are two backing vocalists also.

DCFC includes Gibbard as vocalist/guitarist plus a guitarist/organist, a bassist, and a drummer.

I'm not trying to put one above the other, but they feel significantly different to me, and seemingly for good reason.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I've been listening to Plans, and I do see a difference, at least in instrumentation. I still think that DCFC (and this song in particular) and what I've heard of TPS have a similar feel, to me at least. And I'm still not convinced that the drums at least on SMB are not electronic.

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home