Monday, April 10, 2006

I tested the waters and it was good!

testing the waters: Volume 7 (Mixdorf, March 06’)

How to Quit – Sam Phillips: From the other comments, people say that this is a girl singing this song. What? Are you kidding me? It totally sounds like a dude to me. I would have never guessed that it was a girl. Mixdorf what is IT? I did not see any comments that countered Pat and Dan’s suggestions that it was a girl. They would know more than I would because they are both girls. Seriously, they have better ears than I do. Now back to the song. It was new to me and I like it enough to always listen to it when putting this album on. Like Randy Jackson from American Idol would say. “It was just alright for me dog.”

Red Silk Five – Sam Phillips: A charming song. I like the smokey coolness of his voice. I am going with the HIM until told otherwise. He is almost too cool to sing this song. It is a very likeable song. I imagine myself in a quiet little bar unwinding from a stressful day. Sipping some whiskey on the rocks and wishing for my friends to walk through the door is the picture that I see in my head.

We Both Go Down Together – The Decemberists: Freak’in great song! I love the line about the white chalk cliffs of Dover. Geography and geology interest me a great deal. The class I took two summers ago has really given me an appreciation for landscape ecology. What does this have to do with this song or music? I see nature as the greatest song ever written/sung. It is impressive how its lyrics are perfectly designed. I am a fan of the Decemberists. Do I have to go to Amazon to buy any of their music? I am sure that I can’t find them at my local department store. Just a fab band brother!

Eli, The Barrow Boy – The Decemberists: One of the best songs on the album in my opinion. I listen to it over and over again. When I listen to this song, I put it on my stereo’s replay function. I listen to this song at least 5 to 7 times in a row. Just love it! It is a sad song that unzips the empathy pocket of your heart. I feel for young Eli, and I wish to make things better for him. His ghostly presence still pushes the barrow and it still pushes out a smile upon my face.

The Mariner’s Revenge Song – The Decemberists: I hated this song so much that I had to tell Mixdorf to his ear that it just plain SUCKED. However, as I listen to it more and more I have been able to distinguish which aspects of the song that makes my hair stand on end. The story / lyrics are GREAT. I really get into the story each time that I listen to it as of late. The parts that burn in my ears are the instruments. Is that an old Czech accordion? Just sucks whatever it is. It makes me think of a Bris. I can’t help to wonder if I am going to get my dick cut again. Sorry for the strong and negative comments, but I just want to be honest. I am developing the ability to appreciate the different aspects of a song. I love the children singing at about the 4:35 mark. Love it!

Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois – Sufjian Stevens: This song is so eloquent sounding. The piano gives it a classical feel. The musical components of this song are just amazing to me. I really like the song a lot. There are some intelligent lyrics in this song that capture my heart strings. This is a short song, but it is one of my favorites. A VERY GOOD song!

John Wyane Gacy Jr. – Sufjian Stevens: Creepy and very poignant! I found this song to be wonderful. I love history and stories. This song does a great job of telling the historical facts. As a Waterloo native, I feel a connection to JWG. I am one person removed from him. The evil that overcomes a person is insane and I can’t understanding how a person could give into such darkness. I feel a deep disgust for him like I did for Anikan when he killed the younglings in Episode III. I hope that none of you ever become a serial killer or turns to the darkside. I said much more about this song and subject on my blog. IF you are interested in reading more about this man and my thoughts please vist the site. This may be the best song on the album. A little bizarre, yes. However, if I listen to it over and over again and enjoy it how can I not claim it as one of my favorites?

The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is out to Get Us – Sufjian Stevens: A cool and sweet beginning. Nice use of the tambourine or tambourine on the synthesizer. I like the instruments and music a lot. The lyrics are fine also. The horn is great about the 2:16 mark. A great chorus of voices too. This is a song that I look forward to in this album. I love the palisades. On our way to Taos, New Mexico from Philmont, you pass through some amazing palisades. A natural feature that I really have a lot of interest. Another good pick.

The Seer’s Tower – Sufjian Stevens: Serious piano here. I love it! I never been in the Sear’s Tower but I have been in the Hancock Building. This is a great song. It is great because it has so many excellent aspects. The excellent aspects included: people whoooing in a quiet hum, awesome piano, and good lyrics. The musical flow was very pleasant to my ears and I might request (magazine) the other songs off of this album.

Review: An outstanding album! This is one cd that will get wore out in time. I already listen to this album whenever I find myself putting a cd in the player. My favorites have to be Eli, JWG, UFO, Decatur, and Seer’s Tower. I like them all about the same, so all five are my one clear favorite. I am a man of first. In contrast with this is The Mariner’s Revenge Song. SUCKS musically, but has a great story. Mixdorf was brave in his bold theme, but it really paid off in my opinion! From the teacher you get an A.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Sam Philips, definitely a chick, not altogether bad looking either, and married to wonder-producer T-Bone Burnett, he of pretty much every movie soundtrack incorporating classic American songs, including that of O Brother Where Art Thou?

Such disgust for Mariner's Revenge Song. Wow! Since when are you Jewish, Mr. Bris? And how old were you when circumcised that you remember it? To paraphrase Luke in Return of the Jedi, "I have no memory of my foreskin."

7:46 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Cory is always, like, 10% review and 90% tangent. And that's why we love him.


Tough telling where you ended on Mariner's Revenge Song.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

He's a stream of consciousness reviewer. A meandering stream filled with oxbows and rocky shallows.

3:53 PM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

I am a steady current that supports your musical raft. I always enjoy and praise the music whenever I can. The raft is large enough to carry the tunes of most of your ticket carrying passengers, but some are not welcomed and thus must be thrown overboard.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Wow, I am stunned that this sounds like a guy to you. Are the women teachers at your school Selma and Pattie from The Simpsons? I'm listening to it now. I simply can't see how you could mistake this for a guy. You may want to turn the bass down on your radio.

You should be able to find The Decemberists at Best Buy or any other similar place with a decent size music selection. Also, you live in a COLLEGE TOWN. There has to be a good record store there somewhere. If not, Amazon certainly has it.

You, Eli and John Wayne Gacy would make a good 3on3 basketball team.

T-Clog does not like the accordion. Hmm... I'll have to keep that in mind for Volume 13, Polka All Night. May have to reconsider it. I am amazed that you have such a visceral reaction. Sorry buddy.

Your obsession with your connection to JWG is very creepy. If I ever see you wearing a clown mask, that may be the end of our friendship. Can't be sure what was in that KFC chicken.

Overall, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully you can scratch out any trace of MRS and enjoy the whole thing in peace.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home