Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mighty Tom’s Spin on Ye Olde Round Sound



Opening

I must at least acknowledge that it has indeed been a long time. But I will always apply the same “program” to each of these offerings, never “shorting” the effort that the compiler puts forth. That said, I am pleased to have completed my Round Sound experience.

It was great. I loved the cover – really outstanding – I am almost always in need of such an expression. Intrigued, as always, by the songs within. One of the many strengths inherent to CMC is the infinite combinations that are available to the club. Rich learning, remembering, discovering, and contemplating are as available as a shaker of salt – just need to grab and add. Thank you in advance for putting together another installment for the CMC. The pleasure is mutual, except when it comes to your cover – then I am afraid it is all mine.

And now . . . the songs-------

1. “I’m Not in Love” by 10cc

Oh - Eric Carmen is who sings ‘All By Myself!’

A good choice to introduce your listeners to what the round sound is - the electric piano is a key component as well as the smooth and groovy production. This band, emasculated by its very name (cc is a small amount compared to what you drink in a glass of beer in a truck with your dog), is an interesting combination of musicians. The name is a scientifically calibrated measurement that reduces it to the amount in a syringe. “Buckets of Load” was the name of the band that would have kicked this band’s ass.

It seems amazing to come up with and record a song such as this. There is an artistic weird, which I quite enjoy, embodied at times by my favorite bands, and then there is genuinely weird, such as 10cc.

This is one of those songs that I recognize as hearing, but not listening to. Hearing as a basic function of the human sense – if it is on and I am in range I cannot help, but to hear it; however, its inclusion “here” has allowed me an opportunity to LISTEN to it. Interesting to LISTEN to a song which I have heard here and there throughout me life.

Wild background vocals. Interesting break at 2:00 minutes. Weird “Big Boys Don’t Cry” section. Gets out of it with a transporter sound (see Star Trek 2) – which might be exactly what the doctor ordered. Get outta there! At 3:25 until about 3:51– the song’s most interesting musical passage.

The song captures the round sound vision, but despite the wetness of its production and the insinuation made by the name of the band, leaves me a little dry.

2. “Run That Body Down” by Paul Simon

First, I must again reveal my love for Paul Simon. I really do love him - his days in an acoustic duo, through his 70s addiction, and then exploding into what I can only describe as uniquely Simonesque. I think Dan is right on in terms of Simon replicating a contemporary form of music in the 70s along with Joel, P-Mac, and Elton, but Mixdorf is also right – post 70s – Simon truly is an artist unto himself. So, I love Paul Simon and was quite excited to listen to “Run That Body Down,” which I have never heard before. I applaud Dan’s launch into the albums of Paul Simon (and recently benefited from such a launch with Dan’s “One Trick Pony”). I am intrigued by Dan’s comparison to P-Mac’s debut solo album and agree for the most part – though P-Mac’s, I suspect, might be better, barer, and stronger overall– though I am only able to base this on Dan’s info and this one song.

I love the smooth vocal by Paul Simon and believe he is a bit underrated as a vocalist. He can sustain notes with oohs and aahs as well as anyone and has such a gentle, smooth quality. I like the transition that begins around 2:10 culminating with the surprising bit of guitar work, then spilling back into the “normal” part of the song. I like the words and find them comical in that “song kind of way.” The whole notion of pointing out to someone that you are “gonna run that body down” is great. Smoking, overeating, unprotected sex. Great.

This song has grown on me with each listen. I liked it initially and like it more every time I hear it. There are Simon songs that fit the bill of Dan’s round sound better, perhaps, but this one works nicely on the collection. I’ll “speak” more about this in my discussion on song #3.

3. “Reminiscing” by Little River Band

In my initial listens, this and song number 1 became clear illustrations of Dan’s Round Sound concept. Before I listened to the album and only saw its cover and title, I thought it was going to be a funk compilation. After becoming more familiar with the album, I soon listened to it as representing quite a large grouping of songs, of which this and song number 1 were firmly rooted, but not as the clear cut representative for the sound Dan is presenting. I see many similarities between this song and “I’m Not in Love.” They both were songs I have heard, but never LISTENED to. Both were songs that I would switch away from as soon as they began. Both almost appeared to be elevator music to me.

That said, after listening and reading about the songs, I like “Reminiscing” better than “I’m not in Love” – though I am not too crazy about either of them. And John Farnham – oh what Greenpeace did for him, at least for me. And Australian, there was a time when I seriously thought they were a NE Iowa band.

Dude – I am sorry I cannot like this song as much as you. The song is very Steely Dan like to me, and like them, I do not hate them, it is simply that I would search the radio for something different. I like the horns and know what you mean about the guitars being Prince-like. The singing is good and I do like some of the nifty chord changes. The ending could have been a 44 ending.

And now . . . let me take you down . . . to the bowels of West High School, where I temporarily belonged, amongst the tunnels and the Anderkays, Greenwoods, and other creatures of the pool. We would work our muscles and then . . . we would stretch and do aerobics.

The music chosen by the assistant swim coach: music from the genre of Round Sound. There was the LRB, Joel (“Just the Way you Are” was a major stretching song), Simon, Elton, Hall and Oates – and others. Pictures of our favorite Aerobic girls motivated us from the walls. Early mornings before school or after school into the early evening hours – stretching, twisting, reaching, and contorting to the electric piano. Aside from hearings in the car, it is there, on the sweaty blue mats, over and over and over again. I cannot help, but equate these sessions with that sound. It isn’t all bad, but it is there and I needed to say it. That said, I was able to disassociate myself from those memories as I listened – no problem, but on some level, of course, it is part of my experience. I chose to disclose the info during the discussion on the LRB because along with Joel and Simon, this song without a doubt was drilled into my school skull during “cool down” exercises.

4. “What You Won’t Do For Love” by Bobby Caldwell

I really liked your snapshot of 1978. I think I may have heard this song before, probably a long time ago in a car. I am not specifically familiar with Bobby Caldwell, but I am vaguely aware of artists like him.

Love the drum fill at 3:58 – great sound, great continuation. He is an excellent singer – and if I were to guess the color of his skin, not white. I wasn’t going to use the word “muzak,” but there is that element to the round sound, due mostly to its ultra smooth and very gentle quality – not entirely a bad thing, but obviously such qualities could cause the listener to view it as background music. Like jazz or even classical music, until you get into it – then you either dig it or hate it. That is the clearest I can put it. I am not dismissing this music at all; on the contrary, I am situating it with that kind of music that is softer on the ears and therefore less demanding of the listener’s attention – at least as far as I think so. A punk song will demand attention and will demand the listener to make the decision – do I like or do I hate – instantly – no passing it off or ignoring it. Back to the ole “hearing” a song, but not “listening.”

Jazz, smooth R&B, but definitely working within the context of Dan’s Round Sound concept – I wonder if Gnarls Barkley ever studied Caldwell. Caldwell is certainly not as psychedelic as Barkley, but some of the vocalizations reminded me of the two or three songs I have heard from Gnarls.

5. “Little Jeannie” by Elton John

At this point, the Round Sound begins to sparkle. Truly Sparkle. I do love this song. Elton John really turned into a fomp (whatever that is, but I think you can discern at least some of what I mean). Mixdorf’s glasses and costumes did not bother me until the music lost its artistry. Elton lost it. Plain and simple, but let’s return to the time when he was very very good, including this song, which I did not know was without Taupin.

An interesting merging of Mark Anderson and Dan Hylton helped introduce me to the music of Elton John, Mark the earliest stuff and Dan, a little later. My very favorite Elton songs are: “Someone Saved My Life Tonight,” “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,” and “Empty Garden” (I credit Dan for introducing the great “Empty Garden”). “Little Jeannie O’Meara” ranks in my top ten favorite Elton John songs and possibly in the top five.

I suspect Elton John was at his best when he was taking drugs. Many drugs throughout the day and night. Drugs that opened his mind and helped him to socialize with other artists. How they must have laughed while under the influence of such wonderful drugs. Laughing and writing and recording – what fun. Drugs truly are amazing. Consider the state of music had there never been an influence of drugs. Beautiful, yummy drugs.

I totally agree about the saxamaphone – an instrument often recorded badly - interestingly, Paul Simon and George Harrison have achieved the greatest sax sound pop recording success in the history of our world.


6. “Midnight at the Oasis” by Maria Muldaur

First, I LOVE “Come Hither.” Oh my. This is a happy time. It could have been a Beatles movie from the early sixties and this would be someone they would meet. And she would sing them this song and the world would be warmed, but not in a climate change kind of way.

“Sing your camel to bed,” (two great humps) and “Heaven’s holding a half-moon” (and it aint no Levendusky) – all great.

And shit shit shit! “I’ll be your belly-dancer.” Does she know what she’s saying?! The French teacher we all love who dances on the side. Meet me Thursday and we’ll catch a glimpse through the curtains and if we are lucky, we’ll be invited to the dressing room. SHIT!!

I totally see the solo at 1:20 as being Mark Anderson like – yes! And “harem honey” – very nice indeed!

“I know your Daddy’s the sultan” – see that’s the whole thing. How fun would it be to be young and attending a political event, flirting with the opposite gender while parents fulfill their ambassadorial duties - the chase, the encounter behind the building, the hope that others will get the hell away.

A fun, bouncy song – why not romanticize the middle-east, god knows it needs it!

Yes – the stereotypes abound as Mixdorf points out and yet – how sad. I often cite the natural beauty of North Korea that goes unnoticed, but the same goes for the middle-east. Looming over a visit is the constant warning, instructions to avoid danger – not by a certain reptile, but the political landscape in which we exist. The beauty of North Korea is ignored. Could we just cross over and enjoy its lush greenness? That we are not allowed makes it worse. If we were allowed, perhaps we still would not go, but knowing we could is somehow very comforting. Thank you Maria for my middle-east experience.


7. “Arrow Through Me” by Paul McCartney

I love this song. It is great – I actually like the words and this song contains elements that easily make it among the strongest on this compilation. I realize that some of you might roll your eyes, knowing and thinking that I love everything the man does – not true, but yes, I ADORE Paul McCartney. He is truly amazing, and to quote from Dan, “So awesome, and so funny, at the same time.”

Paul is not only able to fully embrace the qualities of almost any genre, he is also able to take the genre to the very top of its form, while still adding a bit of McCartney to it – in other words, at once:

- he retains himself (there can be no doubt that this is McCartney)
- he claims top position in the genre (“Arrow Through Me” is the best 70s round sound type of song as “Honey Pie” clearly illustrates the best of vaudeville).
- he masterfully captures the elements of the style he approaches both in terms of sheer natural talent and flawless execution

If he announced he was going to compose a 1994 grunge song, you can bet that it would be the best grunge song you ever heard.

So, this is what is generally accepted and understood about P-Mac. Incredible, beyond description, and out-of-this-world.

I love the arrow zings placed throughout the song and the rich, deep bass tones. His vocal is so smooth that even the warted hide of Darrin Schreiber might let a few slip smoothly by. I think what he does with “zero” is fantastic. I love the space of the arrangement and the little drum effects used throughout, growing especially prominent at the end of the song.

Think Legolas – running an arrow through that orc – that is bad – and that is what Paul is talking about. Beautiful.

8. “Blue Bayou” by Linda Ronstadt

I went nuts with this song. It gave me instant sprinkles the moment she started singing. I know little of Linda – “Under African Skies” of course. I probably have heard this song, but I’m telling you – I really do not remember.

What a voice! Really – what an amazingly emotive, clear, beautiful voice. And at 45 seconds when she intensifies – wow!!! I like the little steel drum type sounds and the harmony is great – informing Cynthia Lauper (“Time after Time”), perhaps, later.

I kept repeating this song at work. The mood was right. I must have played it a dozen times in a row. Love it. Is it about a place she grew up, had a daughter (baby), and then left, but the daughter stayed? Maybe. She left for a job or a soured relationship, but time heals, the sails representing the surrender of her soul, and so she returns to where she belongs. There was depression, but now subtle elation.

9. “Sara Smile” by Hall & Oates

I remember really liking Hall & Oates, culminating in the purchase of the album, on tape, “Out of Time.” I often passed over “Sara Smile” for their harder (hee hee pee pee) stuff like “Say No Go,” “Rich Girl,” “Adult Education.” But these days I can certainly appreciate this song much more. Hall is an incredible singer – what a voice. Like a giant Rick Astley, but with a higher voice – they could have been brothers or at least cousins. Then the darker, more evil Ric Ocasek. So Dan, who would win in a fight, Ric Ocasek or Hall? Or, Hall and Oates vs. Evil Ric Ocasek and the diminutive Rick Astley?

I do like the song and think the singing is outstanding, as is the orchestral arrangement.

10. “Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue” by Crystal Gayle

We all seem to know this one. It must have been hugely popular. Did she also sing the song about “Your So Vain” – about accusing someone of thinking this song was written about you. Or was this Carol King’s aim at James Taylor. What did James do to her. Good God! She still hasn’t gotten over it. Or am I thinking about someone else. Crystal does have a sweet voice and the piano was lounge-like, and I can dig on a nice lounge. The song is short and I think that works well within the context of ending.

Closing

I enjoyed the Round Sound a great deal and had fun writing up the comments and listening and reading Dan’s and other CMCer comments. All excellent.

Dan’s write-up provided an entertaining and informative guide into the Round Sound. What a time period. And, I must say, a stunning run of songs from song #5 through song #8. Wow!

BS: Blue Bayou
SIWHI: Something by Joel

A fine well put together collection – a nice nod to Dan’s occasional inclinations to the 70s!

7 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Wonderful, as always, Gibbs. Will say much much more in response, but for now:
- very VERY funny diatribe on drugs
- "You're so Vain," Carole King!?? I thought everyone who was remotely into music knew that's a Carly Simon deal (though you're right on the James Taylor part). I only mention this because I usually assume you know a fair amount more than me about general music errata (round sound & country excepting).

11:35 PM  
Blogger Mighty Tom said...

woops

8:01 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

I'd put even money on Oates being able to beat all three of the others simultaneously, with by far the greatest challenge coming from Hall, if for his much greater reach than anything else.

Ocasek is all reach but is willowy.
Astley? over in moments.

Good stuff as usual.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Mighty Tom said...

Oates is like a hobbit though - I figure he could take Rick, but Ric might be able to take Hall. Adam's apple alone is sharp enough to slice skin.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Following through on the LOTR analogies....

Ocasek is Ent-like, the personification of some slender birch or similar, maybe even bamboo. As such he's going to be tough, but not especially mobile or flexible.

Astley is an easy match for any the others.

Oates is more dwarf-like than hobbit-like.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Mighty Tom said...

I can see the dwarf.

1:22 PM  
Blogger C.F. Bear said...

Even I knew it was Carly Simon.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home