Friday, June 23, 2006

Responding to the Aronospere (Finally)

First off, my apologies. After all my bluster, here I am well over a month late on these. I'll find a way to make sure they reach T-Clog, who is offline for about 2 1/2 months.

So...

Who is the Andorian on the cover? What are you talking about? Everyone knows Andorians have antenna!!

On your overall reaction, you say that it could be easily created. I would argue that point (and, indeed, have in my reaction to Mixdorf). How is it different than saying it's easy to create pop music? It all depends on how much you want to put into it and how much of a knack you have for it. It just requires a different learned skill set (instrument vs. software). But music is music.

You also seem to suggest that ambient music is not emotive or complex. I would say that it depends on the song, much like with any other type of music. I think what a lot of it comes down to is that it's really hard to get past those two French guys in their mother's basement.

On Witch Doctor: I'm actually been quite surprised at the distain for this song, relative to the others. But the people have spoken (ala Pale Boy).

On High Roller: Seems to be a general winner. Seems like France's answer to the Chemical Bros. is an affirmative one. I can understand the Vegas connection to which you refer, but I'll definitely continue to think "space" when I hear this. If you had a stylized, time-lapse video shot on Fremont Ave, rather than Freemont St, you might see catch a momentary glimpse of a stretched-out blue Toyota Carolla with a Unidos con John Kerry bumper sticker.

On Le Soleil..: "...attacks are too uniform to be live" Perhaps you've never heard the live bass in the second half of Camden Garden's "Dearest One." This one, in contrast to Witch Doctor, has received a better reaction than I expected. I threw it out there for a little diversity. I like it, but I thought it might be considered a bit drippy and mild; received as though "Air" was the "Air Supply" Ambient. Glad you don't think so.

On Sea of Tranquility: Interesting that you think the repeated keyboard thing grew thin. I thought it evolved throughout the song to the point where it was what made the song for me more than any other point. I really get drawn in on this one, especially envisioning that spiraling astronaut.

Wilderness: Interesting that you call it more ignorable than interesting. I would call it more interesting than good. For me it was the weakest song on the mix, but a fascinating departure.

Devotion #1: Wow-the consensus, runaway overall winner of this collection. Glad I brought it into your life.

Numero Deux: More uniform throughout than Witch Doctor? I would have guessed track #1 had the least amount of variation.

Overall: Glad you find them listenable and somewhat enjoyable if ignorable. And I, personally, think it speaks very highly of the Coalescence that they were thrown this nugget and it was not dismissed out of hand. By anyone.

Thanks for the comments, for listening, and so so sorry for the delay here. Comments on RE coming sooner than you may think...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home